The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Economics, Finance and Data Science at Imperial College London?

I have few questions this super new course.
1. How popular will this course be? What will be the acceptance rate? Predictions?
2. If I am applying to just pure economics at other universities like LSE, would my econ + a bit finance work here? Are they super serious about including all 3 areas in personal statement?

Scroll to see replies

An course in Imperial will be over subscribed and very competitive and the same applies to LSE. They have many more applicants than spaces.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
An course in Imperial will be over subscribed and very competitive and the same applies to LSE. They have many more applicants than spaces.

I doubt that - it's a somewhat unusual course, many people won't even think of applying to Imperial for it and since it's brand-new (first entrants in 2023) those who do know about it will be understandably hesitant to firm it. If someone received an offer for a similar course at LSE they'd be hard-pressed to find a reason to firm the Imperial course over it. The other most recent course they introduced was Earth and Planetary Sciences, and that one is actually under-subscribed.
Original post by Sinnoh
I doubt that - it's a somewhat unusual course, many people won't even think of applying to Imperial for it and since it's brand-new (first entrants in 2023) those who do know about it will be understandably hesitant to firm it. If someone received an offer for a similar course at LSE they'd be hard-pressed to find a reason to firm the Imperial course over it. The other most recent course they introduced was Earth and Planetary Sciences, and that one is actually under-subscribed.

Then would you say that Imperial would acknowledge the fact that their applicants for the course would also likely apply to LSE, hence give out a little more offers than usual?
Reply 4
Original post by ambitiousdreamer
Then would you say that Imperial would acknowledge the fact that their applicants for the course would also likely apply to LSE, hence give out a little more offers than usual?

Yeah, if you're going for an economics course in London then there's probably another uni that grabbed your attention. Like how UCL usually has higher offer rates for STEM compared to Imperial.
Original post by Sinnoh
Yeah, if you're going for an economics course in London then there's probably another uni that grabbed your attention. Like how UCL usually has higher offer rates for STEM compared to Imperial.

I got an offer for EFDS and waiting for LSE econ. TBH idk which to firm if I get an offer from LSE. No evidence to back up, but I feel like EFDS has better course structure and great future. It seems EFDS will end up with lower acceptance rate. Is there any change in your opinion today?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I got an offer for EFDS and waiting for LSE econ. TBH idk which to firm if I get an offer from LSE. No evidence to back up, but I feel like EFDS has better course structure and great future. It seems EFDS will end up with lower acceptance rate. Is there any change in your opinion today?

What's my opinion?
I think that the Planetary Sciences situation was that is was simply not a sexy course. This new EFDS course will probably attract a lot of applicants who would have usually just applied to LSE and UCL in the econ space. I expect this course to be quite over-subscribed. Imperial clearly came after LSE on that one and I'd be scared if I was them.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
New course. I recommend to go to a safer choice/ LSE or Warwick Eco :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Any800
New course. I recommend to go to a safer choice/ LSE or Warwick Eco :smile:

Absolutely disagree. It is currently the most compettive course in the UK. Designed for future needs. Already rejected LSE econ and firmed Imperial.
Reply 10
Well, I also totally disagree with you (and think you did a mistake) and believe that most banks/recruiters will think like me.
Original post by Any800
Well, I also totally disagree with you (and think you did a mistake) and believe that most banks/recruiters will think like me.

I am a banker (Associate) and I recruit for my team. I think you are wrong.
Reply 12
I said most

Original post by FortitudeBank
I am a banker (Associate) and I recruit for my team. I think you are wrong.
Reply 13
At the Imperial open day this year, they said it was hugely oversubscribed last year (first year of running). They expect it to be even more competitive this year. I got the impression employers will be lining up to take these graduates on.
Reply 14
How stupid comment it will be in qt lest 2 years... Clearly a graduate of this degree...
Reply 15
plus do you see the uni saying anything different.... oh boi....
Original post by Grgy
At the Imperial open day this year, they said it was hugely oversubscribed last year (first year of running). They expect it to be even more competitive this year. I got the impression employers will be lining up to take these graduates on.

2023-2024 academic year, 3000+ applications, 100 offers, around 70 intake. Around 30 couldn't meet the condition (A* maths)
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
2023-2024 academic year, 3000+ applications, 100 offers, around 70 intake. Around 30 couldn't meet the condition (A* maths)

Wow, shocking odds and that was just the first year.
@Grgy Just out of interest why did you think that 30 people didn't meet the offer - maybe they just firmed a different course? I cant imagine that 1/3 of offer holders didnt secure an A* in maths or did they say that at the Open Day? Lots would also have fmaths too so the A* in maths shouldn't be a stretch? be great to get any insight!
Reply 19
@Anonymous#3, I didn’t write that post , it was a different poster. I replied to their information with ‘wow, shocking odds and that was just the first year’. Strange formatting on the student room!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending