The Student Room Group

no idea where to study - year 12 wanting to go to uni.

right so i’m currently in year 12,and i want to go to university either here in the uk, or somewhere in the states - but i’m super conflicted because i feel like my gcses messed my chances of getting into a good uni up?

my grades were 98888754 , the four being in maths (lmfao) and i have no idea what to do.
Original post by anais44
right so i’m currently in year 12,and i want to go to university either here in the uk, or somewhere in the states - but i’m super conflicted because i feel like my gcses messed my chances of getting into a good uni up?

my grades were 98888754 , the four being in maths (lmfao) and i have no idea what to do.

I doubt your GCSE grades will impact the likelihood of you getting into a 'good' university. Unless you are looking to study something mathematical, your 4 in maths is likely to be sufficient, and most of your grades are actually really good.
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I doubt your GCSE grades will impact the likelihood of you getting into a 'good' university. Unless you are looking to study something mathematical, your 4 in maths is likely to be sufficient, and most of your grades are actually really good.

i’m looking to study smth to do with law/philosophy (considering philo is my strongest rn) but tysm!! are there any unis you think i should consider ??
Original post by anais44
i’m looking to study smth to do with law/philosophy (considering philo is my strongest rn) but tysm!! are there any unis you think i should consider ??

I don't know - I would look for the best reviewed courses and see what you think (although all rankings are done by different criteria, so it is quite a bit of work)
Original post by anais44

Check the GCSE entry requirements for any courses you are interested in. If the maths grade isn't high enough, retake it alongside your A levels.
Original post by anais44

Heya!
Most of your grades are good but unfortunately, most unis usually want a 5 in maths and english as a minimum which might hinder you. Perhaps look at whether you could resit maths. If it helps, use uniguide to explore UK universities :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 6
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Most of your grades are good but unfortunately, most unis usually want a 5 in maths and english as a minimum which might hinder you. Perhaps look at whether you could resit maths. If it helps, use uniguide to explore UK universities :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

hi,
thank you this did help! im afraid i think its too late for me to resit my maths which is slightly annoying now, but lets say i get great predicted grades, would the 4 still weigh me down hugely?
Original post by anais44
hi,
thank you this did help! im afraid i think its too late for me to resit my maths which is slightly annoying now, but lets say i get great predicted grades, would the 4 still weigh me down hugely?

GCSE requirements for a course are usually not negotiable. So if they want a 5 and you have a 4, you won't meet the requirements no matter what your A level predictions. You are in year 12 so you have time to retake GCSE maths in year 13 - you would list it as a pending qualification like your A levels.
Original post by anais44
hi,

Heya!
normaw answered the question :h: Unfortunately if the unis require a 5 in GCSE maths, then you can't really negotiate it as this is a minimum entry requirement. Some unis are more flexible about entry requirements but you will have to do some search and explore different entry requirements. You can still redo your GCSE maths. I would recommend talking to your teacher and see what can be done as well!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest