The Student Room Group

MSc Biomedical Sciences Leeds Beckett vs BSc Life Sciences Bradford

I need some input in what course to choose from. For some context I've completed a Bachelors in Medical Sciences at the University of Sydney in Australia. I just moved to the UK and want to work in clinical lab in the NHS, I have some experience with that in Australia. However I am not accredited by HCPC so finding a job even as a lab assistant has been really challenging. I decided to do further studies to help me get the accreditation here. My doubt now is between a Masters in Biomedical Science with Leeds Beckett Uni (which is accredited), one year degree but then I would have to chase up a position in order to complete the portfolio required. Or a Bachelors Degree in Life Sciences by the University of Bradford, 3 years, but then by the end of the degree I would have the accreditation and the portfolio done. I don't know about the prospects of finding a job and completing the portfolio after a Masters at Leeds Beckett, and if doing another Bachelors degree would be a shorter way around it. Any input is welcome as I am still learning about all this. Thank you
Original post by cff123
I need some input in what course to choose from. For some context I've completed a Bachelors in Medical Sciences at the University of Sydney in Australia. I just moved to the UK and want to work in clinical lab in the NHS, I have some experience with that in Australia. However I am not accredited by HCPC so finding a job even as a lab assistant has been really challenging. I decided to do further studies to help me get the accreditation here. My doubt now is between a Masters in Biomedical Science with Leeds Beckett Uni (which is accredited), one year degree but then I would have to chase up a position in order to complete the portfolio required. Or a Bachelors Degree in Life Sciences by the University of Bradford, 3 years, but then by the end of the degree I would have the accreditation and the portfolio done. I don't know about the prospects of finding a job and completing the portfolio after a Masters at Leeds Beckett, and if doing another Bachelors degree would be a shorter way around it. Any input is welcome as I am still learning about all this. Thank you

Simply getting a Masters is not normally enough for you to become accredited with the IBMS.
You need you undergraduate degree to be assessed by the IBMS first if you want to work as a Biomedical Scientist. And then they will tell u which top up modules you have to do. But you have to be working in an accredited lab whilst doing the top up modules I believe. So for you you need to apply for MLA roles in the NHS for now.
The MSc at Leeds Beckett says it is accredited with the IBMS but this does not mean you can become a Biomedical Scientist just because you complete it. You can only do that by either studying an accredited undergraduate degree or topping up an undergraduate degree. Its very misleading that universities say their MSc in Biomedical Sciences is accredited because it does not mean it is accredited necessarily to become a BMS
Reply 3
Oh really! I will research more about this, thank you! Sounds like a better route would be assessing my degree first then instead of jumping to a masters degree
Original post by cff123

Hey @cff123

If you would like any information about our course please do just let me know and I can get in touch with the faculty admin for you :smile:

Many thanks,

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending