The Student Room Group

A- Levels

So I just got back a grade for an A Level mock and I did terrible. I can't even say the grade. For the past 2 years I have cut off every social activity, made 0 friends in College, been in the library most dinners and in this time I don't do the work. I want to do well and succeed but I just put myself down and already go into revision knowing I can't do it. I have been so unmotivated, so anxious, and I don't know what is wrong with me. I cried infront of 2 teachers today and I can't face them ever again. I feel so embarrassed. I got one of the lowest grades in the subject. People that don't put as much time towards revising did better than me. This subject is all about memory and I can't seem to remember things now. I think I have memory problems. I am so dumb. I feel helpless and I feel like my life is crashing down. In lessons I try to focus but I can't. I get distracted by negative thoughts about myself. The teacher said I am lacking confidence, motivation and a work ethic but is not telling me what I can do. My life is a mess. I feel guilty when I don't do work so when I allocate time to do it, I don't feel motivated and feel like no matter how long I spend, I will not understand or memorise the content. It's a big cycle that keeps repeating itself. I feel like sleeping because that way I won't have to face the reality of my life. Does this make sense? What can I do?
Hello.

Firstly, is the grade actually "terrible" (I hate saying this word) as in you have completely and utterly failed the mock and got 0/100 on a paper for example? Or is your idea of a bad grade a C or B grade (60%+ usually on A level papers from memory)? Because at A levels an E is a pass, so getting a C or a B at this stage is good as it is well over a pass and means that you are on the right track to possibly/potentially getting a B or A in the exams if you keep pushing on.

Secondly, I understand how you are feeling. I'm not going to go into detail so just believe me when I say I understand where you are coming from - really I do. When you are severely anxious and significantly 'down', a lot of the time your mind isn't in the place it needs to be and is somewhere else, so this could be the problem. May I ask (I know this is a public form but it might give you some clarity) is there something, or an underlying reason (or reasons) why you feel this way? Because what you are writing about here (I am no mental health professional) sounds like criteria for severe mental anxiety & depression to me. I also understand that May and June are final exams season, so this may be making it worse - but maybe talk to a GP about this, as for some people if you go down the CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) it can help them, or at least give them methods and ways to deal with these persisting and life affecting negative feelings.

My PM is always open my friend. Remember no matter what happens in the end you are not stupid, you are not inferior to anyone else and you are not alone.
Reply 2
Original post by Funtimes01_
Hello.

Firstly, is the grade actually "terrible" (I hate saying this word) as in you have completely and utterly failed the mock and got 0/100 on a paper for example? Or is your idea of a bad grade a C or B grade (60%+ usually on A level papers from memory)? Because at A levels an E is a pass, so getting a C or a B at this stage is good as it is well over a pass and means that you are on the right track to possibly/potentially getting a B or A in the exams if you keep pushing on.

Secondly, I understand how you are feeling. I'm not going to go into detail so just believe me when I say I understand where you are coming from - really I do. When you are severely anxious and significantly 'down', a lot of the time your mind isn't in the place it needs to be and is somewhere else, so this could be the problem. May I ask (I know this is a public form but it might give you some clarity) is there something, or an underlying reason (or reasons) why you feel this way? Because what you are writing about here (I am no mental health professional) sounds like criteria for severe mental anxiety & depression to me. I also understand that May and June are final exams season, so this may be making it worse - but maybe talk to a GP about this, as for some people if you go down the CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) it can help them, or at least give them methods and ways to deal with these persisting and life affecting negative feelings.

My PM is always open my friend. Remember no matter what happens in the end you are not stupid, you are not inferior to anyone else and you are not alone.

It's not letting me private message you. Just teared up after reading that. I'm not sure whats wrong with me. I got an E. I don't want to mention this now because it seems like an excuse. I sometimes think I might have depression and anxiety but I'm fine sometimes. I also feel like I might be putting on an act sometimes. I don't want to waste anyone's time or have my family know about this. I have kept this all to myself and I dont want to seem like I am faking depression or anxiety when I am happy sometimes.
Original post by RaviBoy
It's not letting me private message you. Just teared up after reading that. I'm not sure whats wrong with me. I got an E. I don't want to mention this now because it seems like an excuse. I sometimes think I might have depression and anxiety but I'm fine sometimes. I also feel like I might be putting on an act sometimes. I don't want to waste anyone's time or have my family know about this. I have kept this all to myself and I dont want to seem like I am faking depression or anxiety when I am happy sometimes.

Hello.

I believe with newer users, you are only allowed to PM once you post more or something only those lines.
I would consider getting some mental health help. The longer you leave these things, the more damaging it can become. Seriously.
I mean you are Year 12 now, so you're probably in or near the 18-19 year-old range. So you're a legal adult. If you wish to seek out help with how you are feeling, then please do. I would strongly recommend it as it is affecting your well being, how you function and your day to day life.

Quick Reply

Latest