The Student Room Group

Uni/science/entry requirments

Can university accept double diploma in betec applied science in college to apply for biomedical Science because all I see is a triple triple I don’t know what to do all close university asking for triple and I need to do a biomedical science and can I still be accepted if the entry for betec is DMM?
Original post by DilerNura
Can university accept double diploma in betec applied science in college to apply for biomedical Science because all I see is a triple triple I don’t know what to do all close university asking for triple and I need to do a biomedical science and can I still be accepted if the entry for betec is DMM?

When you say "double diploma", are you referring to a BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Applied Science where the grade is two letters (e.g. DM, DD, etc.)? Such a qualification is the equivalent of just two A levels, and so is unlikely to be accepted for the majority of degree programmes.

Do you have, or are you taking, any other level 3 qualifications alongside this BTEC?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
When you say "double diploma", are you referring to a BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Applied Science where the grade is two letters (e.g. DM, DD, etc.)? Such a qualification is the equivalent of just two A levels, and so is unlikely to be accepted for the majority of degree programmes.

Do you have, or are you taking, any other level 3 qualifications alongside this BTEC?

Thanks for the reply
This is what the college said to me we run the double (diploma) course and not triple Applied Science I their is also I way I found to do the level 3 is where I study this double diploma for 2 year because the course in this college is a two year course and then I can go to a council college for a year which would get me to a level3 diploma and then go to uni. That’s a route but I want to do the level 3 and no take 3 years in college I want to do the normal 2 years.
Reply 3

Am in yr11 so I don’t know what to do along side this applied science. What would be very good for me if I wanted to go onto studying biomedical science.
Thanks take care
Am in yr11 so I don’t know what to do along side this applied science. What would be very good for me if I wanted to go onto studying biomedical science.
Thanks take care

Are you still doing GCSEs? And are you referring to the GCSE Combined Science course?

It's unusual to do A-level standard qualifications (level 3 qualifications) in year 11.
(edited 3 months ago)
Thanks for the reply
This is what the college said to me we run the double (diploma) course and not triple Applied Science I their is also I way I found to do the level 3 is where I study this double diploma for 2 year because the course in this college is a two year course and then I can go to a council college for a year which would get me to a level3 diploma and then go to uni. That’s a route but I want to do the level 3 and no take 3 years in college I want to do the normal 2 years.

OK. We can go about this a couple of ways:
1. See what Biomedical Science courses you might be able to access with just the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science (worth 2 A levels).
2. See what additional qualifications might be an option to run alongside that BTEC.

For option 1, let's focus on universities which state their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points. I realise that it's a tad early, but do you have a target in terms of grades? If you were to obtain D*D*, that would get you 112 UCAS points. London Metropolitan University will accept 112 points for "Biomedical Science - BSc (Hons)", and also state that they accept "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma/Diploma" (details).

If D*D* might be expecting too much, then the same uni want only 32 UCAS points for their "Biomedical Science (including foundation year) - BSc (Hons)" (details). You'd get 32 points from grade PP. Of course, this approach adds an extra year to your degree. This would be more expensive that adding an extra year to your college (which you've said you'd rather not do) - because of uni fees and accommodation costs.

For option 2, would you have any capacity to study a BTEC Extended Certificate (worth one A level) alongside your existing BTEC - or even an actual A level. Does the college offer either of those options? Subject-wise, perhaps Applied Human Biology (if a BTEC Extended Certificate) or Biology / Human Biology (if an A level).

Am in yr11...

Ah, so you've not actually started college yet, then. I'm that case you'd be much better to find a college which offers a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science. That's worth 3 A levels, which is what most unis are looking for.
Reply 6
OK. We can go about this a couple of ways:
1. See what Biomedical Science courses you might be able to access with just the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science (worth 2 A levels).
2. See what additional qualifications might be an option to run alongside that BTEC.

For option 1, let's focus on universities which state their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points. I realise that it's a tad early, but do you have a target in terms of grades? If you were to obtain D*D*, that would get you 112 UCAS points. London Metropolitan University will accept 112 points for "Biomedical Science - BSc (Hons)", and also state that they accept "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma/Diploma" (details).

If D*D* might be expecting too much, then the same uni want only 32 UCAS points for their "Biomedical Science (including foundation year) - BSc (Hons)" (details). You'd get 32 points from grade PP. Of course, this approach adds an extra year to your degree. This would be more expensive that adding an extra year to your college (which you've said you'd rather not do) - because of uni fees and accommodation costs.

For option 2, would you have any capacity to study a BTEC Extended Certificate (worth one A level) alongside your existing BTEC - or even an actual A level. Does the college offer either of those options? Subject-wise, perhaps Applied Human Biology (if a BTEC Extended Certificate) or Biology / Human Biology (if an A level).

Ah, so you've not actually started college yet, then. I'm that case you'd be much better to find a college which offers a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science. That's worth 3 A levels, which is what most unis are looking for.

Thank you but the college around my area are all offering just level 2 course of betec applied science and what I have to do is then do another year to extend onto a level 3 but thank you for the advice also am apply for college and what other alevels do you think I should consider that would help me boost my cv on apply to colleges for biomedical science.?.
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Are you still doing GCSEs? And are you referring to the GCSE Combined Science course?

It's unusual to do A-level standard qualifications (level 3 qualifications) in year 11.

Yes am in yr11 and am talking about the college I will be going to next yr there course is a level 2 and university’s are looking for a level 3. But my new question is are there any alevel you think I should consider on taking because I have two spaces I have to fill and am unsure.??
Thanks
Yes am in yr11 and am talking about the college I will be going to next yr there course is a level 2 and university’s are looking for a level 3. But my new question is are there any alevel you think I should consider on taking because I have two spaces I have to fill and am unsure.??
Thanks

If you want to study biomedical science then you should realistically be planning to take A-level Biology and A-level Chemistry, plus any third subject.
Thank you but the college around my area are all offering just level 2 course of betec applied science and what I have to do is then do another year to extend onto a level 3 but thank you for the advice also am apply for college and what other alevels do you think I should consider that would help me boost my cv on apply to colleges for biomedical science.?.

Before we continue, we need to get some terminology straight. You say above that "the college around my area are all offering just level 2". A level 2 course is the equivalent of one or more GCSEs. As a result, it will not be accepted in any way for entry to university. Nor is it a necessarily route in order to study a level 3 BTEC (which would be equivalent to one or more A levels). I fail to see the point of studying for a level 2 (GCSE-equivalent) qualification after having completed your GCSEs.

Can you please provide the exact full name of the BTEC course you're considering doing next year? A full BTEC course name will be something like "Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Diploma in Applied Science" or "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science". Every single word of the qualification title is important in establishing what it actually is. Please stop using short-hand like "double diploma in betec applied science", "triple triple", "the double (diploma) course", "triple Applied Science", as they're very confusing and have already led to misunderstandings in this thread.
Reply 10
Before we continue, we need to get some terminology straight. You say above that "the college around my area are all offering just level 2". A level 2 course is the equivalent of one or more GCSEs. As a result, it will not be accepted in any way for entry to university. Nor is it a necessarily route in order to study a level 3 BTEC (which would be equivalent to one or more A levels). I fail to see the point of studying for a level 2 (GCSE-equivalent) qualification after having completed your GCSEs.

Can you please provide the exact full name of the BTEC course you're considering doing next year? A full BTEC course name will be something like "Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Diploma in Applied Science" or "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science". Every single word of the qualification title is important in establishing what it actually is. Please stop using short-hand like "double diploma in betec applied science", "triple triple", "the double (diploma) course", "triple Applied Science", as they're very confusing and have already led to misunderstandings in this thread.

Well.. okay the courses full name is Applied science just that but the qualification is a betec level 2.

This is copied and pasted from the college and it information about the course

This course is ideal for students who are interested in studying science but do not wish to study a separate A Level Science qualification.
[initial]This course can be taken as a BTEC Extended Certificate (1 A Level equivalent) or a BTEC Diploma (2 A Level Equivalent) so there is something to suit each learner’s choice of study programme.[/initial]

This is what the leader of the course said to me on email.
at ….. we run the double (diploma) course and not triple Applied Science.
(I added the …. To keep it privet)
Well.. okay the courses full name is Applied science just that but the qualification is a betec level 2.

This is copied and pasted from the college and it information about the course

This course is ideal for students who are interested in studying science but do not wish to study a separate A Level Science qualification.
[initial]This course can be taken as a BTEC Extended Certificate (1 A Level equivalent) or a BTEC Diploma (2 A Level Equivalent) so there is something to suit each learner’s choice of study programme.[/initial]

This is what the leader of the course said to me on email.
at ….. we run the double (diploma) course and not triple Applied Science.
(I added the …. To keep it privet)

From what you've quoted from the web site it is not a level 2 qualification. If they're talking in terms of "A Level Equivalent" then it's level 3. When the web site talks about "BTEC Diploma" it means "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Applied Science". I find it pretty horrific that the course leader refers to this as "the double (diploma) course". I apologise for assuming this was your shorthand.

This BTEC is the equivalent of just 2 A levels. As I said a few posts ago, you'd really need to study something else alongside this - either a BTEC Extended Certificate or an A level. Subject-wise, Applied Human Biology (if a BTEC Extended Certificate) or Biology / Human Biology (if an A level) would make most sense.
Reply 12
From what you've quoted from the web site it is not a level 2 qualification. If they're talking in terms of "A Level Equivalent" then it's level 3. When the web site talks about "BTEC Diploma" it means "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Applied Science". I find it pretty horrific that the course leader refers to this as "the double (diploma) course". I apologise for assuming this was your shorthand.

This BTEC is the equivalent of just 2 A levels. As I said a few posts ago, you'd really need to study something else alongside this - either a BTEC Extended Certificate or an A level. Subject-wise, Applied Human Biology (if a BTEC Extended Certificate) or Biology / Human Biology (if an A level) would make most sense.

Thank you for all your help and advice. If it’s not to bother what a-levels should I also consider doing I can’t do biology , chemistry due to my GCSEs paper being foundation and entry requirements in a grade 6 in science.
Thank you for all your help and advice. If it’s not to bother what a-levels should I also consider doing I can’t do biology , chemistry due to my GCSEs paper being foundation and entry requirements in a grade 6 in science.

If you're not going to be able to do an A level which is actually relevant, then I'd suggest you simply pick one you're likely to get the best grade in - so the subject you're best at.

Alternatively, as I mentioned in post #6 and post 12 you also have the option of studying a second BTEC (probably in Applied Human Biology) alongside the Diploma in Applied Science. So you'd have:
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Applied Science (worth 2 A levels)
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Human Biology (worth 1 A level)

Of course, the college you'd found which don't offer you the qualification which would be most appropriate - Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (worth 3 A levels) - probably don't offer whatever you want to do alongside it anyway. So if you're convinced that that's the college you want to go to, then you need to ask them what they offer before deciding what you'd like to do.
Reply 14
If you're not going to be able to do an A level which is actually relevant, then I'd suggest you simply pick one you're likely to get the best grade in - so the subject you're best at.

Alternatively, as I mentioned in post #6 and post 12 you also have the option of studying a second BTEC (probably in Applied Human Biology) alongside the Diploma in Applied Science. So you'd have:
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Applied Science (worth 2 A levels)
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Human Biology (worth 1 A level)

Of course, the college you'd found which don't offer you the qualification which would be most appropriate - Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (worth 3 A levels) - probably don't offer whatever you want to do alongside it anyway. So if you're convinced that that's the college you want to go to, then you need to ask them what they offer before deciding what you'd like to do.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending