The Student Room Group

What after a level 4 apprenticeship

I have been offered a place for a marketing apprenticeship, but it is only a level 4 apprenticeship. I don't have a problem with this and am excited to start, but just want to know what I can do with it if I decide not to take a permanent job straight away.

Can I apply to university with my level 4 apprenticeship? Would I only be able to apply for marketing degrees or could I apply for something else; for example business management? Can I apply for level 6/7 apprenticeships with my level 4 apprenticeship?

Essentially, if I don't want to start at the company straight after, or if I want to get a degree afterwards, what can I do with my level 4 apprenticeship after completing it.
The apprenticeship will be beneficial to your university application but you will still need to meet the minimum requirements. Alternatively you can contact the university and ask for guidance before making an application to avoid disappointment.

I recently completed a Level 4 in retail management and the course provider was honest with me and explain that the qualification isn't really useful outside of retail. Will a Marketing apprenticeship be useful outside of Marketing? Probably not, but it's still good to have and you can always do your degree or another apprenticeship if you decide to change careers.

All apprenticeships will tell you the minimum requirements you need to have and this will vary. I've seen a few level 6 where all you need are A levels, and I've seen level 6 where you need a degree for some programs(engineering & banking)
Reply 2
Original post by Char3313L
The apprenticeship will be beneficial to your university application but you will still need to meet the minimum requirements. Alternatively you can contact the university and ask for guidance before making an application to avoid disappointment.

I recently completed a Level 4 in retail management and the course provider was honest with me and explain that the qualification isn't really useful outside of retail. Will a Marketing apprenticeship be useful outside of Marketing? Probably not, but it's still good to have and you can always do your degree or another apprenticeship if you decide to change careers.

All apprenticeships will tell you the minimum requirements you need to have and this will vary. I've seen a few level 6 where all you need are A levels, and I've seen level 6 where you need a degree for some programs(engineering & banking)
Surely you want a career in Retail if you're doing an apprenticeship in Retail...

I'm not sure you can do another apprenticeship, as they won't give the funding if course content is similar. But I don't know if it depends on whether you completed the previous apprenticeship or not?

Also I'd really like to know where you've seen level 6 apprenticeships that only ask for A levels. I've just found a level 4 that needs A levels, and that was hard enough to come by.

I've also seen level 3 apprenticeships that seem to need existing level 3 knowledge (i.e. in software). I don't get how the levels work.
Reply 3
I was looking at level 4's thinking that I could do a level 4 in Software dev/engineering for experience and then a degree in Comp Sci. The problem is that the level 4's are 18 months and it seems like you can only get funding for 4 years - so if you've already done an 18 month qualification you can only get funding for 2 1/2 years of a 3 year degree.

For me I'm struggling to see what use a Level 4 apprenticeship would be, unless the employer would extend it to a Level 6 once you complete the Level 4. I wouldn't get a job anywhere with just a Level 4, I don't think I could get a level 6 somewhere else due to funding and wouldn't get full funding for a degree. There are loads of (very competitive though) level 6's so I'm just applying for those mainly. But if I took a Level 4 I'd only do it for a year and defer my uni entry and then go to uni after the year.

If I was you I'd defer uni, do the Level 4 for a year and decide from there. Keep your options open.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending