The Student Room Group

University decision

Hi,
I am finding it hard to making a decision for which university to study for Law. It is between university of Nottingham and University of Lincoln. I like both of the unis but they have pros and cons. Firstly Nottingham, it is really good for law and well respected whereas Lincoln isn't so much. But the thing is with Lincoln, I really loved the campus and the vibe of the university that I could really see myself going there, but I'm mainly concerned about my job prospects when I leave and I think Nottingham may be much better for that. Plus I also liked the campus as well but not as much as Lincolns.

So this has left me stuck, and I would like to know if anyone knows which uni overall, waying out the pros and cons would be better for me to study Law and also if people have studied Law at either uni or know people who have, I am open to hear opinions about them.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Studylearner
Hi,
I am finding it hard to making a decision for which university to study for Law. It is between university of Nottingham and University of Lincoln. I like both of the unis but they have pros and cons. Firstly Nottingham, it is really good for law and well respected whereas Lincoln isn't so much. But the thing is with Lincoln, I really loved the campus and the vibe of the university that I could really see myself going there, but I'm mainly concerned about my job prospects when I leave and I think Nottingham may be much better for that. Plus I also liked the campus as well but not as much as Lincolns.

So this has left me stuck, and I would like to know if anyone knows which uni overall, waying out the pros and cons would be better for me to study Law and also if people have studied Law at either uni or know people who have, I am open to hear opinions about them.

Thanks

According to my cousin who did law - 100% Nottingham - better city, better prospects after.
Hi,

Thanks

Never studied Law but I've been through the Uni wringer a few times now (Sports Science, Engineering and more Engineering :P )

My advice would be to go somewhere YOU will be HAPPIEST studying AND living. More likely to succeed and survive :smile:
Nottingham - no question.

Lincoln has no reputation for anything much and certainly not for Law.
Yep Nottingham, zero competition.

Lincoln while a fab place (I used to live in Lincoln & also in Notts for a while so know both areas), certainly won’t help open any doors in the future, Nottingham will. Law is one of Nottingham’s flagship courses and has consistently been well rated over the years. Many Uni law courses pop into the top 10 then drop again, but Notts has maintained a respectable position throughout. Their law societies often win awards too.

Lincoln is a newer university and for law it just doesn’t have the pedigree.

Good luck deciding.
Hi,

Thanks

Hello,

Although I don't do Law, I am a third-year Biomedical Science student, I hope I can give some advice to your query from the prospective of a Lincoln student!
Like you, I fell in love with the Lincoln campus. I really enjoyed how it was enclosed but also close the to city centre. The student community is amazing since it's so close to everything and I've never felt unsafe walking back late at night on campus, or even in the town, which for me was a huge factor in choosing Lincoln over other universities. This is both due to the town centre being packed with students all the time, the 24/7 campus security, proximity of all accommodations and the general community created by the Student's Union, nightclubs and the University itself.
I wouldn't worry about your job prospects, Lincoln offers incredible amounts of support because at the end of the day, a University won't get you a job, you will. Employers are becoming increasingly aware of the outdated university-based hiring and is something a lot of them are seeking to avoid. That being said, Lincoln has a wonderful reputation and I am proud to be a student there.
From my experience, the careers centre was incredible supportive and knowledgeable about how to make myself stand out above other applicants and you can contact the Law department specifically to talk through your concerns surrounding Law. They'll be able to reassure you of what life holds after Lincoln :smile:
Email [email protected] | Telephone +44 (0)1522 835509

I hope this has helped you out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending