The Student Room Group
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool
Visit website

Is it ok to go to multiple open days at the same university? Top Tips

...this is the question I asked myself back in 2017, when I began looking at universities. Short answer- yes of course it's ok!

I used to be terrible at decision making- nights were spent filled with anxiety about my A Levels, whether I'd get the grades I wanted, whether I was making the right decision about my course.

So when it came to choosing my university, I decided I needed as much information about each institution as possible. Open days can be hectic, filled with introductions, presentations, tours, and lots of leaflets! I came away from open days across the UK with my head spinning- information overload!

In the car home, I'd kick myself for not asking more questions , or chatting to academics, or looking at all of the facilities offered by each university.

So, I made the decision that I would go to each university for a second time. This time around, I did my research. I knew exactly which questions I wanted to ask, I introduced myself to the academics, and, most importantly, I brought a notebook. That last one was a lifesaver!

After my two open days, I was stuck between two universities I really liked. So I visited them for a third time! I booked 1 on 1 meetings with academics, and talked to them about the course, my career goals, and the university in general. Getting to know them made the decision less terrifying, and really helped when it came to my first day- at least I knew one person!

Visiting universities multiple times, whether as part of an open or applicant day, or just on a campus tour, can be so helpful when you make your decision.

My top tips?

Introduce yourself to academics, as daunting as it might seem, and ask for a 1 on 1 meeting.

Lots of universities often run taster sessions for their courses (I went to a great puppetry workshop at Kent Uni), and I'd recommend attending those too- it can be a great way to get to know fellow applicants and hopefully future coursemates!

And don't be afraid to take your time when making a decision- don't rush it, make sure you're 100% happy with your choice of course and university. There's always people at the end of university phonelines and emails who are more than happy to help you with any questions you have, big or small.

Got any tips for making the most of open days? Drop them below! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

-Ella :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending