The Student Room Group

maths: Edinburgh or Bristol?

I have received offers from both universities for mathematics with an integrated masters, but I am unsure about which course I prefer.

To help inform my decision making process, I'd like to hear the opinions/perspectives of others (e.g. past and current students etc) :smile:

Context:
I live closer to Edinburgh but I am aware of Bristol's good reputation for maths specifically, and I have visited (and liked) both cities but not for open days. Although Edinburgh university is considered to be prestigious, I know very little about the maths department and undergraduate course and would appreciate any insight.
Original post by 12345green
I have received offers from both universities for mathematics with an integrated masters, but I am unsure about which course I prefer.

To help inform my decision making process, I'd like to hear the opinions/perspectives of others (e.g. past and current students etc) :smile:

Context:
I live closer to Edinburgh but I am aware of Bristol's good reputation for maths specifically, and I have visited (and liked) both cities but not for open days. Although Edinburgh university is considered to be prestigious, I know very little about the maths department and undergraduate course and would appreciate any insight.

I dont know where you get this info from but there is very little difference between these universities and certainly not enough to influence your decision. Edinburgh is 9th for Maths in CS Bristol 10th. Your decision needs to be based on the courses and environment rather than some make believe reputation.

You should be invited to post offer days in Feb/March. Visit both and get a feeling for which is right for you. Maths courses vary massively between universities. As an example Lancaster didnt use to offer Mechanics but had one of the best Statistics departments in the UK.
Reply 2
You have until JUNE to make this decision.

Plenty of time to visit, think and consider.

Quick Reply

Latest