The Student Room Group

Help on a acts and politics question given by tutor

Hi everyone if anyone can give me some help on what to say for a question like this it would help greatly!:
Why do some argue against the Human Rights Act 1998 as a domestic implementation of the ECHR?
Original post by Hailey629
Hi everyone if anyone can give me some help on what to say for a question like this it would help greatly!:
Why do some argue against the Human Rights Act 1998 as a domestic implementation of the ECHR?

Hi, Hailey!

As a freelancer and academic writer I'd be glad to help professionally. Meanwhile, I'm writing a few points to land you a helping hand.

There are various arguments against the Human Rights Act 1998 as a domestic implementation of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR). Here are some common points raised by critics:

1. Sovereignty Concerns: One of the main criticisms of the Human Rights Act is that it transfers the power to interpret and apply human rights law from national courts to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR). Some people argue that this undermines national sovereignty and reduces the authority of domestic courts.

2. Political Interference: Critics argue that the Human Rights Act allows judges to make political decisions rather than legal ones. They claim that judges have too much power to interpret human rights law and can use it to further their own political agendas.

3. Legal Uncertainty: There is also concern that the Human Rights Act has created legal uncertainty and confusion. Some argue that it has made it difficult for judges to apply human rights law consistently, leading to inconsistent rulings and confusion for the public.

4. Inadequate Protection: Finally, some critics argue that the Human Rights Act does not provide adequate protection for human rights. They claim that it has failed to protect the rights of individuals and has led to a culture of litigation, where people use human rights law to pursue frivolous claims.

It's worth noting that there are also many arguments in favor of the Human Rights Act and its implementation of the ECHR. These include the protection of individual rights, the promotion of a culture of human rights, and the ability to hold governments accountable for their actions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending