The Student Room Group

Achieving GCSEs and A-levels Without Prior Qualifications

Hello,

I've spent the whole day searching for solutions, but I'm confident there must be more direct ways than the traditional route. I don't have any GCSEs, yet I'm determined to achieve a GCSE level 6/B in English and Maths, along with A-levels in Biology and Chemistry, to pursue university studies. Given that I'm in my late 20s, I believe I can skip the step-by-step progression like starting from entry-level GCSEs and working my way up. Are there faster pathways that can lead me directly to my desired results?
Original post by BusyRobert
Hello,

I've spent the whole day searching for solutions, but I'm confident there must be more direct ways than the traditional route. I don't have any GCSEs, yet I'm determined to achieve a GCSE level 6/B in English and Maths, along with A-levels in Biology and Chemistry, to pursue university studies. Given that I'm in my late 20s, I believe I can skip the step-by-step progression like starting from entry-level GCSEs and working my way up. Are there faster pathways that can lead me directly to my desired results?

Faster than what? You could register as a private candidate in GCSE Maths, GCSE English, A level Biology and A level Chemistry today. You could then self-study for each of these subjects concurrently and take them all next May/June.

In the next few months you could apply to university, with a start date of September 2024. Is that fast enough for you?

You would need someone to provide predicted grades in each of those subjects, and a UCAS reference. So a tutor might make sense.

You would also need to register with an exam centre (a local school or college) to actually sit the exams. If you wanted the "practical endorsement" for those science subjects, which most universities would expect, you'd need to ensure that your chosen exam centre can a accommodate that. Alternatively, you could take International A Levels, which I believe have no practical component (but you'd need to check that).

Do you already have any A levels? I ask as you've only mentioned two and that will severely limit your university options.

Finally, do you think you can cope with that pace of study?
Reply 2
With greater maturity these qualifications should be readily achievable, particularly GCSE. There is all sorts of distance learning options you could look in, which could work for you. Personally I would look in to college courses to help, it’s a lot more engaging having face to face lessons
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Faster than what? You could register as a private candidate in GCSE Maths, GCSE English, A level Biology and A level Chemistry today. You could then self-study for each of these subjects concurrently and take them all next May/June.

In the next few months you could apply to university, with a start date of September 2024. Is that fast enough for you?

You would need someone to provide predicted grades in each of those subjects, and a UCAS reference. So a tutor might make sense.

You would also need to register with an exam centre (a local school or college) to actually sit the exams. If you wanted the "practical endorsement" for those science subjects, which most universities would expect, you'd need to ensure that your chosen exam centre can a accommodate that. Alternatively, you could take International A Levels, which I believe have no practical component (but you'd need to check that).

Do you already have any A levels? I ask as you've only mentioned two and that will severely limit your university options.

Finally, do you think you can cope with that pace of study?

I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for your incredibly informative response to my query. Your insigts have truly been invaluable in helping me chart a clear path forward. It's evident that your depth of knowledge is extensive, and I'm immensely thankfull for the guidance you've provided.

If you wouldn't mind, I have a few more questions that have been lingering. You were spot-on in mentioning that I'll need to consider another A-level subject. In fact, I do have an Italian A-level, given my native prficiency in the language. I took it with curiosity, and fortunately, it resulted in an A-level grade.

For admission into King's College Dentistry, the prerequisite subjects I've highlighted—GCSE Maths, GCSE English, A-level Biology, and A-level Chemistry—are indeed the ones I'm targeting. I wholeheartedly agree that tackling them all at once might be a demanding undertaking, but I'm committed to giving it my all. After all, life is a precious resource, and I'm determined to make the most of it.

Regarding registering with exam boards for each subject, I'm based in London. Could you kindly provide recommendations on the best way to go about this?

Additionally, you mentioned the need for predicted grades and a UCAS reference. Could you elaborate on what predicted grades entail and what role a UCAS reference plays? Furthermore, you advised considering a tutor. Could you clarify which aspects of this process a tutor could assist with?

I hope these questions don't come across as trivial. I assure you that my intention is solely to gain a clearer understanding, as I lack the experience and knowledge in this domain. The AI-driven websites I've explored thus far have left some gaps in my understanding, which is why I'm grateful for your assistance.

Lastly, could you shed light on the concept of the "practical endorsement"? I'm eager to comprehend its significance and how it factors into my journey.

Thank you once again for your exceptional help.
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
With greater maturity these qualifications should be readily achievable, particularly GCSE. There is all sorts of distance learning options you could look in, which could work for you. Personally I would look in to college courses to help, it’s a lot more engaging having face to face lessons

Indeed, I concur with your perspective. However, at this juncture, I find myself lacking the luxury of time and the patience to engage in face-to-face endeavors. I often reflect on the wishful notion of possessing both financial resources and the vigor of youth, enabling me to dedicate myself to pursuing further studies on a more traditional path.
Regarding registering with exam boards for each subject, I'm based in London. Could you kindly provide recommendations on the best way to go about this?

There are several different exam boards in the UK, all of which allow you to register directly with them as a private candidate (where you self-study and do not attend school/college, except to take the actual exam). The links to the page on each web site which provides details for private candidates are below.

AQA
OCR
Pearson/Edxcel
WJEC/Eduqas

Visit each web site, and read how the whole "private candidate" thing works. Each will have a link to exam centres where you can take the exams. You should also look at the specifications for the subjects you want to study (each exam board's will be slightly different). Check their fees too. Also look at how easy it will be to access study materials (on-line or in book form) targeting that exam board. Then pick an exam board which you like - either because they have partnered with exam centres near you, of because you like the specification, or the study materials, or for whatever reason. Then contact one or more of the exam centres listed and get signed-up with them too.

You don't have to pick one exam board for all those qualifications, although doing so might make the admin simpler.

Additionally, you mentioned the need for predicted grades and a UCAS reference. Could you elaborate on what predicted grades entail and what role a UCAS reference plays?

UCAS plays a pivotal role in applying for university in the UK. All applications for full-time undergraduate degrees in the UK must go through UCAS. They act as a "middle man" between you an the universities. So you create a single applications via UCAS (https://www.ucas.com/) and then tell them to which five universities you'd like to apply. Then then forward that application to each university and co-ordinate the responses, within one central hub.

One of the pieces of information you'll be required to provide as part of the application process is the details of a reference. As UCAS say, "If possible, they should be someone who knows you academically and can talk about your work ethic, interaction with other students and your suitability for higher education or a future career." You can read about referees here, which includes scenarios where you don't have an academic referee.

If you're applying to university before having received your qualifications (which is the case for most people), your referee will also be asked to predict your likely grades in each of the subjects/qualifications you listed on your application. That way, universities can make conditional offers - i.e. conditional on you achieving particular grades (which may be higher or lower than your predicted grades).

Predicted grades are important as if, for example, you're applying for a course which requires A*AA and you already have an A in Italian, so you need A*A in the other two but are only predicted BB, then the university might opt not even to make you a conditional offer. :frown:

Furthermore, you advised considering a tutor. Could you clarify which aspects of this process a tutor could assist with?

Many private candidates struggle with both the UCAS reference and with predicted grades (see above). A tutor could act as your referee. If you opted not to use a tutor, who would choose as a referee? Would they be in a position to predict your likely grades?

If grade predictions are an issue, you could always apply after having received your qualifications, but that could delay things for another year for you.

Lastly, could you shed light on the concept of the "practical endorsement"? I'm eager to comprehend its significance and how it factors into my journey.

Science subjects contain practical elements - experiments, lab work, etc. Most university want to know that you don't just know the theory of the science but can successfully work in a lab too. So the qualification would normally contain certain mandatory practicals which you'd be expected to complete during your studies. These aren't really "examined", but your school/college would be required to confirm that you have successfully completed these practicals. This is called the "practical endorsement". If you are studying independently, this can be an issue.

Actually, I've just checked the the entry requirements for Dentistry BDS at Kings, here. They say, "If you are taking linear A-levels in England, you will be required to pass the practical endorsement in all Science subjects. This is with the exception of private candidates who are unable to take the practical component." :yy:
Reply 6
Indeed, I concur with your perspective. However, at this juncture, I find myself lacking the luxury of time and the patience to engage in face-to-face endeavors. I often reflect on the wishful notion of possessing both financial resources and the vigor of youth, enabling me to dedicate myself to pursuing further studies on a more traditional path.

A bit of web browsing indicates that there are lots of options for distance learning. I would see if you can get some advice on the best providers, I not quite sure how to to this though, maybe National Careers Service, Which, Job Centre Plus, Learn Direct? You will need some financial resources and in your 20 hopefully you still retain some vigour of youth. The OU might be something else to look in to, it can offer degree courses to people without the conventional qualifications for uni. Mind you, I don’t think it comes cheap. Good luck, make it happen!
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest