The Student Room Group

Biomedical or Mechanical (potentially electrical?) Engineering in the UK?

Hello everyone, I got into the universities of Manchester and Southampton for Biomedical engineering but the more I research the more I fear not finding adequate job opportunities as I would with a Mechanical engineering degree. But then the more I look into mechanical engineering the more i find people suggesting software engineering as it provides a huge amount of job opportunities. Help?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Faisalaltaher
Hello everyone, I got into the universities of Manchester and Southampton for Biomedical engineering but the more I research the more I fear not finding adequate job opportunities as I would with a Mechanical engineering degree. But then the more I look into mechanical engineering the more i find people suggesting software engineering as it provides a huge amount of job opportunities. Help?

It's understandable to feel uncertain about which career path to choose, especially when there are several options available. Here are some points to consider that may help you make a decision:

Consider your interests: Do you enjoy the biological sciences and want to work in the healthcare industry? Or do you prefer mechanical systems and problem-solving? Understanding your passions and interests can help guide your decision.

Look at job prospects: Research the job market for both biomedical engineering and mechanical engineering. Consider the types of jobs available, the industries they are in, and the demand for these positions. You can also look at average salaries and job growth projections to get an idea of which field might be more lucrative.

Think about your skills: Consider your strengths and skills. Are you naturally inclined towards technical skills such as coding and software development, or do you enjoy hands-on work and designing mechanical systems? This can help guide you towards a career that aligns with your strengths and interests.

Keep an open mind: It's important to remember that your career path may not follow a straight line. You can always switch careers or pursue additional education and training to expand your skills and knowledge.

In terms of software engineering, it is a growing field with a high demand for skilled workers. However, it's important to note that it may not be the best fit for everyone. If you are passionate about biomedical engineering or mechanical engineering, it may be more fulfilling for you to pursue those fields instead.

Ultimately, it's important to choose a career path that aligns with your interests, skills, and values. You can also speak with professionals in each field, as well as your academic advisor or a career counselor, to gain additional insights and guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest