The Student Room Group

Getting into Biomedical Engineering

Hi, I completed a bachelor's in civil engineering this year and got a high 2:1, but I have decided to try for my true passion, biomedical engineering. I always wanted to do it but didn't have the confidence. I wondered if anyone would know the best route to go into the sector, whether I should start by completing a master's or PhD. I have looked at some graduate jobs, although they usually require degrees more in mechanical and electrical engineering. If anyone has any advice on the best route into the industry I would heavily appreciate it.
Original post by eeeeeeeeee18
Hi, I completed a bachelor's in civil engineering this year and got a high 2:1, but I have decided to try for my true passion, biomedical engineering. I always wanted to do it but didn't have the confidence. I wondered if anyone would know the best route to go into the sector, whether I should start by completing a master's or PhD. I have looked at some graduate jobs, although they usually require degrees more in mechanical and electrical engineering. If anyone has any advice on the best route into the industry I would heavily appreciate it.

Many jobs in the bio and medical sectors are essentially mechanical or electronics design jobs, or R&D, manufacturing, quality etc. jobs. You could do a masters in biomedical engineering which would hopefully qualify you for a range of roles in the sector, though there's generally a much higher demand for electronics and software than mechanical (mainly based on the ratio of graduates of each discipline to available positions), and I'm not sure how much of the later biomedical covers. Something to look into.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending