The Student Room Group

Was I taking advantage?

This might be a bit of a controversial one, but hey ho.

Before we start, I’m female; and just turned 16.

To celebrate my 16th, my family, and close friend, went away to Gran Canaria. On the 2nd day we were there, we were all at a restaurant; I got up to get everyone drinks. The guy on the bar took the order, and asked my name, had a bit of small talk, he said I had a beautiful smile etc. He made it obvious he was trying to hit on me, but not so direct you’d be creeped out, you know?

Anyway, he put the drinks on the tray, and put four, like ‘exclusive’ cards, basically free drinks for the rest of the stay, and the equivalent of £50 or so in euros. I realised when I picked up the tray, and went something like ‘Excuse me, I don’t think this one is for me.’ He winked at me, and said it was his treat. I told my family and the friend about it when I came back, handed out the cards, and it was all laughed off etc, and my older brother laughed, saying he was trying to pay me off.

Later on, when we got back to rooms, I was with the friend in question. She went a bit cold on me, and I asked what was up. She said that ‘it wasn’t like me to be so manipulative with people’ and ‘I wasn’t who she thought I was’. I asked her to explain what she meant, and she replied that ‘I was taking advantage of someone who was just doing their job’. We went back and forth a little, as I repeated that it wasn’t like I’d stolen them, or forced anything, they were given. In the end, she lost it, saying, ‘You’re just a stupid, manipulative whxre, who thinks she can just get free stuff, teasing men with the idea that you’ll sleep with them’.

She was incredibly blunt for the rest of the holiday, but I didn’t want to spoil the trip, so pretended we were all good. Since we came back, she posted this long post on instagram, about how you never really know someone till you go away with them, and that women take advantage of men etc. It was petty, but I dm replied to her post with, ‘you never know your mates’ a jealous cow, either. Live and you learn’.

My friend group think I’m nasty for arguing about it with her, and have sided that I was taking advantage, not sure whether she gave them the full truth, though. I don’t think I was taking advantage, as they were given, but, what do you guys’ think?
Original post by Anonymous

To celebrate my 16th, my family, and close friend, went away to Gran Canaria. On the 2nd day we were there, we were all at a restaurant; I got up to get everyone drinks. The guy on the bar took the order, and asked my name, had a bit of small talk, he said I had a beautiful smile etc. He made it obvious he was trying to hit on me, but not so direct you’d be creeped out, you know?

Anyway, he put the drinks on the tray, and put four, like ‘exclusive’ cards, basically free drinks for the rest of the stay, and the equivalent of £50 or so in euros. I realised when I picked up the tray, and went something like ‘Excuse me, I don’t think this one is for me.’ He winked at me, and said it was his treat. I told my family and the friend about it when I came back, handed out the cards, and it was all laughed off etc, and my older brother laughed, saying he was trying to pay me off.

Later on, when we got back to rooms, I was with the friend in question. She went a bit cold on me, and I asked what was up. She said that ‘it wasn’t like me to be so manipulative with people’ and ‘I wasn’t who she thought I was’. I asked her to explain what she meant, and she replied that ‘I was taking advantage of someone who was just doing their job’. We went back and forth a little, as I repeated that it wasn’t like I’d stolen them, or forced anything, they were given. In the end, she lost it, saying, ‘You’re just a stupid, manipulative whxre, who thinks she can just get free stuff, teasing men with the idea that you’ll sleep with them’.

She was incredibly blunt for the rest of the holiday, but I didn’t want to spoil the trip, so pretended we were all good. Since we came back, she posted this long post on instagram, about how you never really know someone till you go away with them, and that women take advantage of men etc. It was petty, but I dm replied to her post with, ‘you never know your mates’ a jealous cow, either. Live and you learn’.

My friend group think I’m nasty for arguing about it with her, and have sided that I was taking advantage, not sure whether she gave them the full truth, though. I don’t think I was taking advantage, as they were given, but, what do you guys’ think?

your friend sounds out of line you did nothing wrong lmao

Your friend was just overreacting. I don't reckon you've done anything wrong. Just don't give a **** to people like her.
your friend sounds out of line you did nothing wrong lmao

I didn’t think so at first, but since most of our friend group sided with her, it made me question whether I was in the wrong. Thank you for your input! :smile:
Original post by Meheraj
Your friend was just overreacting. I don't reckon you've done anything wrong. Just don't give a **** to people like her.

That’s good to know, thank you! :smile:
That’s good to know, thank you! :smile:

Welcome! ☺️
I mean sounds like we're getting half the story. Or your friend is super jealous.
Original post by toxicgamage56
I mean sounds like we're getting half the story. Or your friend is super jealous.

Honest to god, that’s the full story.

The only thing I left out was the rest of the holiday; where the friend barely spoke to me, and avoided me, though that isn’t relevant for the question.

Thank you for your input :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending