The Student Room Group

Early physics offers

Hi. I’m applying to do physics starting 2024. I was just wondering if there is any benefit in submitting my UCAS choices early in September/October? Did anyone get any offers for physics before Christmas and if so what universities was it? Thanks
It depends what unis you apply to. Some unis guarantee a reply within a certain number of weeks, some unis have a reputation to give out offers early while others are known to be notoriously long- and some who don't reply at all! It also depends how unis send out their offers, some do it in batches while others wait until the deadline for all their submissions before sending out offers. From what I know, London unis usually take quite a while, and Oxbridge obviously has its own deadlines. You also need to consider how competitive your physics course will be at your chosen unis, the more competitive it is, the longer it'll take though submitting early can give you an advantage. Dont rush your application though, you're more advantaged with a better application and submitting it just before the deadline rather than submitting a poor application and sending it off early.
September/october is extremely early, if you're not applying to Oxbridge, other unis might get the impression that you did apply to them- which can be good or bad based on their assumptions of your applications. I sent mine in early November and I still had to wait roughly 6 months (April) for all my offers to get back to me.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous4728!
Hi. I’m applying to do physics starting 2024. I was just wondering if there is any benefit in submitting my UCAS choices early in September/October? Did anyone get any offers for physics before Christmas and if so what universities was it? Thanks

I applied before the oxbridge deadline, early oct i think.
Had offers for Southampton, warwick and manchester by christmas. Cambridge got back to me in January( it will be a set date you know in advance). Imperial around march i think.
As long as you apply before the january ucas deadline there is no advantage as you have to be equally considered( or before oxbridge deadline if you want to apply there).
You might get a quicker decision, but it won't affect the likelihood of you receiving an offer. The same process will apply whether you apply early or just before the Jan deadline.
Original post by Skiwi
I applied before the oxbridge deadline, early oct i think.
Had offers for Southampton, warwick and manchester by christmas. Cambridge got back to me in January( it will be a set date you know in advance). Imperial around march i think.
As long as you apply before the january ucas deadline there is no advantage as you have to be equally considered( or before oxbridge deadline if you want to apply there).

Thanks. I am applying to Oxbridge so will submit that early but was unsure whether to submit my other choices then or not. I’m considering Warwick, Manchester, Birmingham, St Andrews, Bath and York. Not made my final choice yet. It would be nice to get some early offers rather than having to stress about it for ages but I didn’t know if any unis would make early offers or not
Apply to 3/4 early and wait and see if you get any offers, then you'll know whether your remaining choices need to be 'safe' or not. Just make sure you submit them all by the Jan deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending