The Student Room Group

Laptop for gcse exams

My teacher requested for me to use a laptop for my mocks and gcse exams. I have been wondering what’s it’s like? Does it give you a significant advantage. For example Religious education or geography and English where the timings are quite stressful. Do you find yourself finishing before a lot of other people. As in a 40 minute essay would take you 25 minutes or is it a disadvantage because I feel like my spag mistakes would be a lot more noticeable
Original post by Flopped
My teacher requested for me to use a laptop for my mocks and gcse exams. I have been wondering what’s it’s like? Does it give you a significant advantage. For example Religious education or geography and English where the timings are quite stressful. Do you find yourself finishing before a lot of other people. As in a 40 minute essay would take you 25 minutes or is it a disadvantage because I feel like my spag mistakes would be a lot more noticeable

My friend got to use a computer for all her exams (GCSEs and A levels). She never finished earlier for essay based subjects. She actually found it annoying at times because she had to sit in the middle of two others (front and back) who also used computers and they typed really loudly. She got this arrangement as she did a test and the teachers deemed her handwriting not readable. There is an advantage in terms of time but also starring at the computer for a whole hour ain't fun either.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Flopped

I use a laptop for some exams and it is less time consuming, you can get more ideas down and there is spell check. you do finish before people.
Reply 3
what if your papers get lost or worse case scenario doesn't get sent to examiners
Original post by Flopped

Can you not just seach answers on the laptop ?
Reply 5
Original post by Flopped

i used a laptop it didn't help me complete the paper quicker and I hated the spelling mistakes. You have to read through your whole English essay and correct every spelling error if you do not get spell check. Typing makes my hands less tired which is a positive especially if you have to take multiple exams in one day.

I wouldn't say it gives you and advantage over other students it is designed to help you get the same opportunties as other students so you are all on the same level playing field

Quick Reply

Latest