The Student Room Group

Booking blood test

Might be silly question but my doctor has booked me for chest x Ray due to heart concerns but I’d like to also have a blood test, I forgot to mention in appointment, I’d like this done.
How could I book it could I phone reception and ask to book a blood test or would I need another doctors appointment (which I’d rather not just to say I want blood test).
If I can request from reception would I need to tell them what type? I’d want it to check for heart problems or possible disease etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Might be silly question but my doctor has booked me for chest x Ray due to heart concerns but I’d like to also have a blood test, I forgot to mention in appointment, I’d like this done.
How could I book it could I phone reception and ask to book a blood test or would I need another doctors appointment (which I’d rather not just to say I want blood test).
If I can request from reception would I need to tell them what type? I’d want it to check for heart problems or possible disease etc

Surely if your doctor thought that a blood test would be useful at this stage in your diagnosis, they'd have requested one themselves?
Original post by DataVenia
Surely if your doctor thought that a blood test would be useful at this stage in your diagnosis, they'd have requested one themselves?

Doesn’t feel like he was taking my symptoms too seriously, I feel it needs to be done as the problems I’m having are severe and effecting my everyday life.
A receptionist can't organise blood tests, you will need to speak to a doctor
Doesn’t feel like he was taking my symptoms too seriously, I feel it needs to be done as the problems I’m having are severe and effecting my everyday life.

It seems to me that a blood test is a simple / cheap procedure compared to the chest X-ray. The fact that they opted for the chest X-ray rather than the blood test suggests that your condition is being treated seriously to me.

As @black tea says, you'll need to see your doctor again if you want to arrange further tests.
Original post by DataVenia
It seems to me that a blood test is a simple / cheap procedure compared to the chest X-ray. The fact that they opted for the chest X-ray rather than the blood test suggests that your condition is being treated seriously to me.

As @black tea says, you'll need to see your doctor again if you want to arrange further tests.

But wouldn’t blood tests pick up on a possible heart attack, disease, etc, chest X ray would not?
Original post by black tea
A receptionist can't organise blood tests, you will need to speak to a doctor

Ahhh that sucks, I’d feel like a nuisance phoning to speak to doctor I already seen Thursday to say I’d like blood test aswell
I feel embarrassed & like a nuisance to ask for a blood test after I already seen GP
They won't book you in for a blood test without a GP saying you need one.
Original post by 1582
They won't book you in for a blood test without a GP saying you need one.

Would blood test show signs of angina or heart attack, heart disease, or disease in general?
I feel worried that chest X ray or ECG might not pick up on it
Would blood test show signs of angina or heart attack, heart disease, or disease in general?
I feel worried that chest X ray or ECG might not pick up on it

I'm no medical expert, but angina and a heart attack (though you should know about it if you're having one) are about the blood supply localised at the heart so I'd guess a blood test would not notice this whereas an X-ray would allow doctors to see the affected area.

Bottom line is that your doctor knows how this all works and is doing what they think is most likely to help.
If there is no satisfactory conlusion from the X-ray then you could ask the doctor whether a blood test would help.
Original post by Rufus The Red
I'm no medical expert, but angina and a heart attack (though you should know about it if you're having one) are about the blood supply localised at the heart so I'd guess a blood test would not notice this whereas an X-ray would allow doctors to see the affected area.

Bottom line is that your doctor knows how this all works and is doing what they think is most likely to help.
If there is no satisfactory conlusion from the X-ray then you could ask the doctor whether a blood test would help.

thanks for the reply, I actually hope they do find something as I can’t go on living this way, everyday I’m having heavy tight uncomfortable chest and strong backache that feels like it’s inside my back, feel weak and drained, lightheaded and cannot function, I feel unwell, I know something is wrong with my body.
thanks for the reply, I actually hope they do find something as I can’t go on living this way, everyday I’m having heavy tight uncomfortable chest and strong backache that feels like it’s inside my back, feel weak and drained, lightheaded and cannot function, I feel unwell, I know something is wrong with my body.

A chest x-ray is more extensive than blood tests as it can show if there's something other than heart problems causing your symptoms or, in the case of a suspected heart attack, whether there's been damage to other organs, eg lungs.
You'll need to request your GP to book routine bloods - just for your information, if he's booked an XR (this is considered a more serious, invasive investigation), he'll be likely to agree and approve a full blood screen.
Original post by keenkid
You'll need to request your GP to book routine bloods - just for your information, if he's booked an XR (this is considered a more serious, invasive investigation), he'll be likely to agree and approve a full blood screen.

Hi thanks for reply, I am feeling really unwell, considering going to A&E, if I do ask for bloods test from GP I’m thinking I could message on the NHS app, would I need to ask for a certain type of blood test? Or just say to check my heart or for any type of disease?
I feel I could have heart disease or something. I know I’m feeling terrible and chest feel full,blocked and tight. I feel extremely weak and fatigued
Hi thanks for reply, I am feeling really unwell, considering going to A&E, if I do ask for bloods test from GP I’m thinking I could message on the NHS app, would I need to ask for a certain type of blood test? Or just say to check my heart or for any type of disease?
I feel I could have heart disease or something. I know I’m feeling terrible and chest feel full,blocked and tight. I feel extremely weak and fatigued

There is no blood test that will check for heart disease or "any type of disease"...
You can call the reception at your doctor's office and request to have a blood test done to check for heart problems or possible diseases. Your doctor will likely have an idea of what tests are appropriate, but you can also ask the receptionist if you should schedule an appointment to discuss this further. It's important to communicate your concerns and any additional tests you would like to have done.

I wouldn't be able to answer that question without taking a comprehensive history, but on initial impression think you're more likely to be experiencing a chest/lung infection as opposed to heart disease. By default, most doctors will book the following bloods: FBC(sees blood markers for infection, checks if you're anaemic) and Urea and electrolytes(checks kidney function and electrolytes in blood). He may also checking clotting function and liver function.

Specific heart markers are mainly only carried out in A+E if someone has sudden, severe heart pain (we're thinking heart attack which is very unlikely in your case). If you're adamant it's a heart problem, maybe try asking for an ECG since that's simple and can be sensitive for heart problems (especially in young people).
Original post by keenkid
I wouldn't be able to answer that question without taking a comprehensive history, but on initial impression think you're more likely to be experiencing a chest/lung infection as opposed to heart disease. By default, most doctors will book the following bloods: FBC(sees blood markers for infection, checks if you're anaemic) and Urea and electrolytes(checks kidney function and electrolytes in blood). He may also checking clotting function and liver function.

Specific heart markers are mainly only carried out in A+E if someone has sudden, severe heart pain (we're thinking heart attack which is very unlikely in your case). If you're adamant it's a heart problem, maybe try asking for an ECG since that's simple and can be sensitive for heart problems (especially in young people).

Hi thanks for the reply, I have ecg in a few weeks at doctors, I have chest x Ray Tuesday, would that pick up on lung or chest infection?
I’m not sure it is a heart problem but I know somethings wrong, I can’t even meet friends as my chest goes tight and I go lightheaded and really weak. The pain spreads all around my back. my Chest feels really heavy and tight, I feel awful. I just want to get this sorted as it’s effecting my life profoundly
Original post by black tea
There is no blood test that will check for heart disease or "any type of disease"...

Ok so what would find it? I’m desperate here

Quick Reply

Latest