The Student Room Group

B’s and C’s to A’s/A*’s

I’m in year 12 and I’m preparing for my end of year mock exams. Will i have enough time to go from two B’s and a C to two A’s and a B? Also how important are these year 12 mock exams as I’ve received mixed responses from different people
Reply 1
Original post by michaela002
I’m in year 12 and I’m preparing for my end of year mock exams. Will i have enough time to go from two B’s and a C to two A’s and a B? Also how important are these year 12 mock exams as I’ve received mixed responses from different people

The only thing I would say is as long as you get what you need for your predicted grades for uni then dont worry, there's still heaps of time to improve grades.
I got BCD in my end of year 12's and my teachers knew me well enough to know that those exams were the worst ive done to date and so still predicted me AAB
Original post by S.Ade
The only thing I would say is as long as you get what you need for your predicted grades for uni then dont worry, there's still heaps of time to improve grades.
I got BCD in my end of year 12's and my teachers knew me well enough to know that those exams were the worst ive done to date and so still predicted me AAB

most of the unis I’m looking at require AAB or BBB which I’m not far off. What were you predicted midway through the year before you sat your year 12 mocks?

Mocks are not important. The only purpose they serve is to scaring you to get your act together, and that only works if you don’t take the mocks as a “i’m a failure, what’s the point” message.

I got DEUB in my year 13 mocks and got 4As in the real thing. Just chill, do your normal revision for the real exams and all will be fine. Don’t stress about the mocks as they don’t matter.
Reply 4
most of the unis I’m looking at require AAB or BBB which I’m not far off. What were you predicted midway through the year before you sat your year 12 mocks?

We didn't have predictions before mocks, but my "target gradeS" calculated from GCSE's were all A/A*
All my uni choices require AAB apart from my insurance which is ABB
Original post by boulderingislife
Mocks are not important. The only purpose they serve is to scaring you to get your act together, and that only works if you don’t take the mocks as a “i’m a failure, what’s the point” message.

I got DEUB in my year 13 mocks and got 4As in the real thing. Just chill, do your normal revision for the real exams and all will be fine. Don’t stress about the mocks as they don’t matter.

do i have enough time to revise for gcses? i have revised a lot of previous content but my school is still teaching some content.
Reply 6
Original post by paracqilo
do i have enough time to revise for gcses? i have revised a lot of previous content but my school is still teaching some content.

I'm still currently learning A-level content and my first exam is in 44 days.
As long as you are revising alongside learning, you'll be fine. It's never too late in my opinion

I don't understand. how did you get your university offers in the summer of year twelve if you got DEUB? Don't the end of year grades determine which unis are willing to offer you a place if you get the mock grades or higher?
Original post by S.Ade
We didn't have predictions before mocks, but my "target gradeS" calculated from GCSE's were all A/A*
All my uni choices require AAB apart from my insurance which is ABB

Ahh I see. My GCSE grades weren't amazing but hopeful they should translate to something of a B grade

You have time! A Levels are crazy stressful but if you really go for it you can get your AAB! They'll use the mocks to predict your grades so chat with your teachers about your plan/goal to get AAB and they'll be more likely to predict you higher if they believe you're dedicated. If you're using these grades to get into Uni then focus on having a strong application. I got into my undergrad with BBC when they'd asked for ABB. Thankfully I got the acceptance before I read my grades or I would have freaked out aha
Reply 10
I don't understand. how did you get your university offers in the summer of year twelve if you got DEUB? Don't the end of year grades determine which unis are willing to offer you a place if you get the mock grades or higher?

Most teachers know you well enough to predict you accodingly. Yes the end of year exams count majorly but I got a D in yr 12, still predicted an A because i absolutely flopped that test which was unusual for that subject.
Original post by paracqilo

Think of it this way: it’s never too late to revise. At some stage it will be impossible to learn everything, so be selective with your revision if you are short on time.
(edited 1 year ago)

Some how the teachers predicted me AAAA despite my crappy mock grades lol. Guess they had more belief in me than i had in myself!
(edited 1 year ago)
Some how the teachers predicted me AAAA despite my crappy mock grades lol. Guess they had more belief in me than i had in myself!

Oh haha that’s lucky. I’ve moved schools for sixth form so unfortunately my teachers don’t know me too well. What subjects do u take?
Oh haha that’s lucky. I’ve moved schools for sixth form so unfortunately my teachers don’t know me too well. What subjects do u take?

Maths, further maths, physics and grography.
Maths, further maths, physics and grography.

Ah nice, my brothers thinking of doing those subjects.

Heya!
I would recommend asking your teacher about their importance as they would know the best :h: I believe they might go towards your predicted grades for when you start applying to unis but it's best to double-check with your teacher as they know better.
The best thing you can do is work hard, do past papers + go through the mark scheme. If it helps, Study Mind has free past paper resources!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest