The Student Room Group

OCR A- Level Biology 2023

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
oh no sorry i made a mistake the correct answer is D typo my bad, I put A as well but its wrong :frown:
Original post by siahateskwl
it is a trick question because 1 and 3 we know for deffo are sexual production and the only option with those two is A!
Original post by dyingggg
oh no sorry i made a mistake the correct answer is D typo my bad, I put A as well but its wrong :frown:

oh maybe its because meiosis only includes crossing over - random fertilisation would not occur in meiosis as that would be outside of the sex organs making the gametes - the egg and sperm do not fertilise in the place where games are made?

gene mutation i think only occurs in interphase so its not a part of meiosis
Reply 43
ahh I think thats why coz it is asking for just meiosis not sexual reproduction, so random fertilisation i.e. the egg meeting sperm happens after meiosis since that's when gametes are made right? this question is tricky :eek:
oh maybe its because meiosis only includes crossing over - random fertilisation would not occur in meiosis as that would be outside of the sex organs making the gametes - the egg and sperm do not fertilise in the place where games are made?
Reply 44
OHHH got it thank you sm !!
Original post by foreverrocking
gene mutation i think only occurs in interphase so its not a part of meiosis
hiii does anyone know why the answer is D for this mcq:frown:? I think all of them happen during meiosis, so is it because only crossing over causes genetic variation in the offspring?

Meiosis is an important feature of sexual reproduction.
Which of the following processes occurs during meiosis and contributes to genetic variation in the offspring?

1 crossing over
2 gene mutation
3 random fertilisation

A 1, 2 and 3
B only 1 and 2
C only 2 and 3
D only 1

All of them cause genetic variation, but only crossing over occurs during meiosis. Random fertilisation would happen after meiosis and gene mutations happen just generally I think.
anyone got any predictions?
Reply 47
hiii does anyone know why the answer is D for this mcq:frown:? I think all of them happen during meiosis, so is it because only crossing over causes genetic variation in the offspring?

Meiosis is an important feature of sexual reproduction.
Which of the following processes occurs during meiosis and contributes to genetic variation in the offspring?

1 crossing over
2 gene mutation
3 random fertilisation

A 1, 2 and 3
B only 1 and 2
C only 2 and 3
D only 1

1 is deffo correct, gene mutation isn't meant to happen in meiosis so it shouldn't be attributed to causing genetic variation (although it could happen) so you have to eliminate 2. u are only left with 1, and that is D.
Reply 48
Good luck everyone!
Reply 49
Original post by lollly 3454
anyone got any predictions?

excretion and kidneysdefo and maybe plant responses
does anyone know the grade boundries
Reply 51
any predictions for paper 2?
Original post by mattisamat
excretion and kidneysdefo and maybe plant responses
any predictions for paper 2?

I have the primrose kitten predicted papers if you would like can you please message me since it won't let me link here as the file is too big,

Hi I have managed to link the papers on google drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nJ2lH6I2QMhacCOLERm-Yu8z4ZEdIRw6?usp=share_link please let me know if it works or not!!1

also Clare biology!!!! has predictions listed on her community page on her YouTube
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by emilia 1234

2019 and 2022 are very similar...its about 130-140 for a B
Does anyone have the as papers for 2022?. I have the a level papers for 2022 if anyone wants to trade
Reply 55
Hi would really appreciate if you could send me the primrose kitten ones pls bc I was thinking about buying them but people are saying they are awful.
I can send u my email but I can't message u yet as this account is new.

I have the primrose kitten predicted papers if you would like can you please message me since it won't let me link here as the file is too big,

also Clare biology has predictions listed on her community page on her YouTube
would would be an A for bio

Go onto ocr grade boundaries archives online, my teachers have said they are trying to go back to 2019 grade boundaries so click on that year! They will change slightly each year but hope this helps :smile:
55 to 65% I think
would would be an A for bio
Reply 59
Do we have to know how inspiration and expiration happen in bony fish using the operculum and the buccal cavity? that thing is so confusing :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending