The Student Room Group

hi

nihhjjbjbvgjcffrydryfftgfgyhjklkjhgfdsaSDFGHJKL
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lilyhundre
Hi, i am currently doing my gcses ( combined science and maths at foundation, french higher, geography, food tech, english literature and language, sports & coaching btec) and ive always had a passion for writing, i think i want to do journalism but im not certain - but something along them lines - at least something to do with writing. I was just wondering what a levels i should pick if i want to do something to do with writing - i know for sure to do english language, but im not sure for my other 2-3 a levels to pick, maybe criminology? other than that im not sure what else to pick, any suggestions?

Don't pick criminology - it's not accepted as an A level by some universities.

For journalism, consider subjects such as psychology or sociology; humanities such as geography, history, politics, media studies; or a language. You could also look at studying English and creative writing degrees at uni.

Some useful websites:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/media-and-internet/journalism-courses

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/journalism
Original post by normaw
Don't pick criminology - it's not accepted as an A level by some universities.

For journalism, consider subjects such as psychology or sociology; humanities such as geography, history, politics, media studies; or a language. You could also look at studying English and creative writing degrees at uni.

Some useful websites:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/media-and-internet/journalism-courses

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/journalism

thankyou, i was thinking of doing three full a levels as well as the criminology applied, would that be a good option?
thankyou, i was thinking of doing three full a levels as well as the criminology applied, would that be a good option?

Unis only ask for 3 A levels and you don't get bonus points for doing extra so stick to three. The workload for A levels is a considerable step up from GCSEs.
Original post by normaw
Unis only ask for 3 A levels and you don't get bonus points for doing extra so stick to three. The workload for A levels is a considerable step up from GCSEs.

would law be a good possible option for a third a level alongside with french and english language?
I think economics would be a great choice.
Original post by username6110343
I think economics would be a great choice.

they dont have that as an option at my sixth form i applied for...
Hi, i am currently doing my gcses ( combined science and maths at foundation, french higher, geography, food tech, english literature and language, sports & coaching btec) and ive always had a passion for writing, i think i want to do journalism but im not certain - but something along them lines - at least something to do with writing. I was just wondering what a levels i should pick if i want to do something to do with writing - i know for sure to do english language, but im not sure for my other 2-3 a levels to pick, maybe criminology? other than that im not sure what else to pick, any suggestions?

Hi! Recent Journalism degree graduate here! Definitely an English A-level and also something media based would help your case. Keep the A-levels broad, I wouldn’t go for anything specific like criminology personally. (Unless you want to get into criminal Journalism!!) Make sure you’re looking into your University choices in the future though - I also picked Journalism through my passion for writing but MANY Universities are changing it to more camera/film based media than writing. Practically the last two years of my course was doing recording work and VTs. (Reporting videos)

Hello @lilyhundre, I have just recently graduated from the university of Salford with a degree in broadcast journalism, first of all, it is great to see more people with a passion for journalism, especially those with a passion to write.

With regards to your A-levels, again it is great that you are thinking ahead and planning ahead, doing any English will look great (especially if you have a passion for writing) but it is not always compulsory (I did not study any english a-level). With regards to your other two subjects I would say a media based course will look good and teach you a lot of the basics of journalism as well. I would say a priority should be picking subjects you are interested in and would want to study.

Then when it comes to University, loads of universities offer loads of journalism courses, ours for example offer broadcast journalism (which is more TV and radio based journalism) and multimedia journalism (which is more articles and newspaper writing) so its all about doing your research again to find what is best for you and what you would enjoy the most.

Hope this helps,
Matthew
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest