The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by nezuko_666
hi Im doing crónica and i was just looking through past papers and the revision guide where it lists themes and I’ve been doing some analysis kinda lmao but I think something to do with the Arab community in Colombia or the role of men and women in society or something to do with the legal system or something since they haven’t come up at all. In terms of character essays I think maybe a Plácida Linero essay (there might not be enough to write about) could come up or Los hermanos Vicario since they haven’t come up at all for essay questions and there hasn’t been an essay asking for analysis of a character since 2021. But these are just my thoughts and it may not end up being accurate, I’m just using predictions to see which ones I could potentially make essay plans for. Best of luck to you in your exam :smile:

nice! yeh a gender roles questions would be lovely for crónica. do you have snap so we can talk about it ? my snap is seebmilm1
Reply 41
I rlly hope its obedience that would b so nice so many lovely points to make
all I hope is that the questions are broad rather then abt something really specific
Original post by ALMO42
Also for LDF, I'm pretty sure the theme of obedience has never explicitly come up in any A Level papers, only in AS, so it's quite a nice possibility

Nothing on Doctor Ferreiro too
Original post by sebmilm123
not really will start soon, i’m not sure what will come up - last year it was “agustina role in the film” and “new beginnings” - do you have snap so we can talk about it ?

i'm doing volver too and La Casa, i havent looked at this stuff in months and im rlly worried.
But I've just compiled a list of what has come up (A-Level only) for La casa and volver. I’m not predicting as such because im not confident but if you guys have anything to add defo do so!!

What’s come up for La casa:
El miedo, el conflicto entre la sociedad y las necesidades de los individuos, la opresión, el castigo, la desigualdad, el usa de agua, la tensión, el papel de Poncia, la sociedad/un código moral para las mujeres, Bernardo como un monstruo o victima

Things that could come up idk: la pureza, la libertad/Adela, las tradiciones, la reputación

What’s come up for Volver:
La vida en el campo/cuidad, los hombres, acciones que motivan a Raimunda, los aspectos mas feos de España, las relaciones entre madres e hijas, la vida tradicional de los pueblos, los personajes superan los eventos terribles y consiguen sacar algo positivo, una película de nuevos comienzos, Agustina y los vecinos en pueblos en la mancha

Things that could come up idk: Tia Paula, el clima, mentiras y secretos, la muerte
Reply 43
Anyone else doing como agua para chocolate and got any question predictions ?

Also anyone who else find they do really well on the knowledge of the book/film but gets let down by their grammar and language for the essay ?
Reply 44
Original post by Georgee37
Anyone else doing como agua para chocolate and got any question predictions ?

Also anyone who else find they do really well on the knowledge of the book/film but gets let down by their grammar and language for the essay ?

Im doing this and volver as well. I think for agua para chocolate it will probably be a question about the relationships between characters.
Original post by fabiiL
Im doing this and volver as well. I think for agua para chocolate it will probably be a question about the relationships between characters.

What do you think about Volver I was thinking maybe la muerte
Original post by f.i.z.z.e.r
i'm doing volver too and La Casa, i havent looked at this stuff in months and im rlly worried.
But I've just compiled a list of what has come up (A-Level only) for La casa and volver. I’m not predicting as such because im not confident but if you guys have anything to add defo do so!!

What’s come up for La casa:
El miedo, el conflicto entre la sociedad y las necesidades de los individuos, la opresión, el castigo, la desigualdad, el usa de agua, la tensión, el papel de Poncia, la sociedad/un código moral para las mujeres, Bernardo como un monstruo o victima

Things that could come up idk: la pureza, la libertad/Adela, las tradiciones, la reputación

What’s come up for Volver:
La vida en el campo/cuidad, los hombres, acciones que motivan a Raimunda, los aspectos mas feos de España, las relaciones entre madres e hijas, la vida tradicional de los pueblos, los personajes superan los eventos terribles y consiguen sacar algo positivo, una película de nuevos comienzos, Agustina y los vecinos en pueblos en la mancha

Things that could come up idk: Tia Paula, el clima, mentiras y secretos, la muerte

Yeah they’re good shouts probs for Volver
Reply 47
Original post by EconApplicant167
What do you think about Volver I was thinking maybe la muerte

thats a good one, about how people in both the city and the village treat death. It could also be about a relationship of one character with the other characters.
Reply 48
Original post by fabiiL
thats a good one, about how people in both the city and the village treat death. It could also be about a relationship of one character with the other characters.

yeh i hope it’s on la muerte - how would you structure a question like that?
Reply 49
Original post by sebmilm123
yeh i hope it’s on la muerte - how would you structure a question like that?

So if its something about how the people en el campo treat death vs people en la ciudad, id structure it like this:

intro (introduce the characters, almodovar, and how the characters behave differently to death depending on where they originate- campo o la ciudad)

para 1: Campo : talk about how they mourn people, use mama irene as an example, how they are superticious about ghosts, how quick to doubt raimunda was when sole told her sister that her mum was still alive, how sole in the first couple of scenes of interacting with her mum was in disbelief that her mum was still alive
para 2: ciudad: How they dont believe in ghosts (how people were able to process irene as alive, also how raimundas daughter quickly saw how Irene was alive and didnt think she was a ghost), how quickly they move on from death (pedro's death and how no one really cared about his dissapearance)

*para 3: since this is such a two sided question, i dont think there is a need for a paragraph 3. but you could talk about how characters change their mind about their opinions midway. people who are in both el campo y la ciudad, you could mention characters like raimunda, sole and agustina.

conc: sum everything up
-------------------------------
With this structure i managed to get an A. Just remember to have a strong counter point if possible (by that i mean if the question is a "how far do you agree" question) and READ/INTERPRET THE QUESTION WELL!!! I lost the chances of getting an A* because of this.

I also made a drive with all the questions ive written for volver y como agua para chocolate, feel free to check it out! :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uihVq0FBBq4ReNQWMhrEMxA2obtlMnHc?usp=sharing
Reply 50
Original post by fabiiL
So if its something about how the people en el campo treat death vs people en la ciudad, id structure it like this:

intro (introduce the characters, almodovar, and how the characters behave differently to death depending on where they originate- campo o la ciudad)

para 1: Campo : talk about how they mourn people, use mama irene as an example, how they are superticious about ghosts, how quick to doubt raimunda was when sole told her sister that her mum was still alive, how sole in the first couple of scenes of interacting with her mum was in disbelief that her mum was still alive
para 2: ciudad: How they dont believe in ghosts (how people were able to process irene as alive, also how raimundas daughter quickly saw how Irene was alive and didnt think she was a ghost), how quickly they move on from death (pedro's death and how no one really cared about his dissapearance)

*para 3: since this is such a two sided question, i dont think there is a need for a paragraph 3. but you could talk about how characters change their mind about their opinions midway. people who are in both el campo y la ciudad, you could mention characters like raimunda, sole and agustina.

With this structure i managed to get an A. Just remember to have a strong counter point if possible (by that i mean if the question is a "how far do you agree" question) and READ/INTERPRET THE QUESTION WELL!!! I lost the chances of getting an A* because of this.

I also made a drive with all the questions ive written for volver y como agua para chocolate, feel free to check it out! :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uihVq0FBBq4ReNQWMhrEMxA2obtlMnHc?usp=sharing

wow thanks you! great knowledge etc! do you have snapchat so we can talk about volver more? my snap is seebmilm1
Reply 51
Original post by fabiiL

might be better to talk on snap about it etc, but also - how would you structure a question like “Hasta que punto estás de acuerdo que VOLVER es una película de mentiras y secretos?”

i also saw the question about colour on the the google doc drive thing, we did that as a mock i hope “las tecnicas” don’t come up 😂
Reply 52
Original post by fabiiL

I’m also doing Volver ! 🙂 I’d like a question on the relationship between Tita, Rosaura and Gertrudis, and for Volver hopefully something on tradition.

Which other subjects are you doing ?
hi
Reply 54
I’m also doing Volver ! 🙂 I’d like a question on the relationship between Tita, Rosaura and Gertrudis, and for Volver hopefully something on tradition.

History and biology :smile: you?
biology
Reply 56

how would structure a volver essay on la tradición? thanks 🙏
Reply 57
Original post by fabiiL
History and biology :smile: you?

History and English Lit 🙂
Reply 58
History and English Lit 🙂

edexcel history?
Reply 59
Original post by fabiiL