The Student Room Group

BioSciences or Natural Sciences?

Hi, I am struggling to decide which course would be better specifically looking at Durham and Bath where both courses are offered. What would be better in terms of career prospects and rigour of teaching? I would be looking at not taking Chemistry and possibly selecting modules like psychology, geography etc. if I choose natural sciences. Would this make me less desirable if applying for biology related research jobs than pure biosciences. Thanks in advance!
Original post by SignOut
Hi, I am struggling to decide which course would be better specifically looking at Durham and Bath where both courses are offered. What would be better in terms of career prospects and rigour of teaching? I would be looking at not taking Chemistry and possibly selecting modules like psychology, geography etc. if I choose natural sciences. Would this make me less desirable if applying for biology related research jobs than pure biosciences. Thanks in advance!

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences studying synthetic chemistry and biochemistry pathways at Lancaster.
I would definitely recommend natural sciences as a great degree option as it gives you the flexibility to take modules across multiple science subjects and develop a breadth of understanding in multiple disciplines.

I have a few friends that have taken pathways combinations which include biology, geography and earth science and have really valued being able to apply their learning in one subject to another and choose modules which fit their specific interests whether that's environmental conservation or understanding more about physical landscapes.

At Lancaster you can choose pathways from across all branches of chemistry, physics, maths, biology, geography and psychology, just to name a few. Each university will do pathways slightly differently and a have a varied range of possible combinations so definitely check that out on the relevant websites. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

The teaching of natural sciences will be much the same as for biosciences or any other science subject as you are usually taught alongside the single honours student so will cover the exact same content in the modules you choose. However since you have the flexibility to select more of your modules in natural sciences, it can sometimes result in uneven terms/semesters. So there may be certain times in the year where you'd have a lot more work than others if that's when the modules you choose end up running. While this does provide a bit more rigor and challenge, there is a lot of support out there to help you manage this.

In terms of career prospects, both biosciences and natural sciences will provide you with an excellent skill set which will be desirable to employers. I have a number of friends in both departments currently in the job application process and I'd say it's been a similar experience in both areas.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊 Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending