The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Switching courses at UCL (different departments)

Hi! I am thinking of applying to switch my course from Civil Engineering to Natural Sciences at UCL (big change I know!).

I was planning to do the Environmental Engineering IEP minor with the Civil Engineering degree when I initially applied but now think I will be more suited for the environment/geosciences streams in the NatSci BSc than an engineering degree. I am due to start my course in September 2023.

If anyone doing NatSci at UCL could give an input that would be great! Is NatSci at UCL a good degree? Is it very competitive? Do you think such transfers will be allowed?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I am thinking of applying to switch my course from Civil Engineering to Natural Sciences at UCL (big change I know!).

I was planning to do the Environmental Engineering IEP minor with the Civil Engineering degree when I initially applied but now think I will be more suited for the environment/geosciences streams in the NatSci BSc than an engineering degree. I am due to start my course in September 2023.

If anyone doing NatSci at UCL could give an input that would be great! Is NatSci at UCL a good degree? Is it very competitive? Do you think such transfers will be allowed?

Given that Civil Engineering has no specific subject requirements, have you checked that you meet the subject requirements for your preferred Natural Sciences stream, here? (I note, by the way, that there do not appear to be "environment/geosciences streams".)

This page outlines the process of switching from one degree to another. However, if you know now that you want to switch it would seem to make sense to try to do so before the course starts.

Your main issue, I suspect, will whether or not there is available space within Natural Sciences to accommodate you.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Given that Civil Engineering has no specific subject requirements, have you checked that you meet the subject requirements for your preferred Natural Sciences stream, here? (I note, by the way, that there do not appear to be "environment/geosciences streams".)

This page outlines the process of switching from one degree to another. However, if you know now that you want to switch it would seem to make sense to try to do so before the course starts.

Your main issue, I suspect, will whether or not there is available space within Natural Sciences to accommodate you.

Yes, I did four A levels (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics) and received A*AAA, so I don’t think the subject requirements would be an issue.

As for the earth and environment/bioscience streams, I was referring to the core streams stated under this link (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/natural-sciences-bsc-2023).

But like you said, I am also primarily concerned about transferring between departments and the availability of space in my preferred course.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, I did four A levels (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics) and received A*AAA, so I don’t think the subject requirements would be an issue.

As for the earth and environment/bioscience streams, I was referring to the core streams stated under this link (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/natural-sciences-bsc-2023).

But like you said, I am also primarily concerned about transferring between departments and the availability of space in my preferred course.

For clarification, I meant geosciences* not biosciences

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending