The Student Room Group

unfair bills in flatshare

im in a flatshare with 4 other people, and the flatmate in charge of our wifi changed providers to get faster better wifi, with a higher bill and added admin fees, however my room is the furthest from the router and i don't get any of the wifi. I've gotten used to using my data and managing OK with that, so id rather do that than pay any more than the wifi bills plus they're saying ill have to buy an extender device for my room.

I wish i could just not pay the wifi bill and continue using my data hotspot as the new wifi is a waste of money now and i wont use the extender again. I'm looking to move out in a few months hopefully.

what should i do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
im in a flatshare with 4 other people, and the flatmate in charge of our wifi changed providers to get faster better wifi, with a higher bill and added admin fees, however my room is the furthest from the router and i don't get any of the wifi. I've gotten used to using my data and managing OK with that, so id rather do that than pay any more than the wifi bills plus they're saying ill have to buy an extender device for my room.

I wish i could just not pay the wifi bill and continue using my data hotspot as the new wifi is a waste of money now and i wont use the extender again. I'm looking to move out in a few months hopefully.

what should i do?

If you really don’t get the wifi in your room tell them exactly what you have written here. You don’t pay for a service that you can not use! But It would be different if you could use it but decided not to. However, why did they change provider without consulting you first? And how were the rooms allocated? Normally the price of the extender should be shared between everyone if the wifi bill is being split equally.
Original post by Euapp
If you really don’t get the wifi in your room tell them exactly what you have written here. You don’t pay for a service that you can not use! But It would be different if you could use it but decided not to. However, why did they change provider without consulting you first? And how were the rooms allocated? Normally the price of the extender should be shared between everyone if the wifi bill is being split equally.

i didn't want to cause drama or sound like a Karen, as it also seems a bit unfair for me to refuse to pay the bill then they all have to pay more. and if I'm the only one who uses the extender it seems unfair to have them pay it...

the flatmate did sort of consult us, and i asked if it would have better reach she said she wasn't sure, so what else could i say to that..
Reply 3
i didn't want to cause drama or sound like a Karen, as it also seems a bit unfair for me to refuse to pay the bill then they all have to pay more. and if I'm the only one who uses the extender it seems unfair to have them pay it...

the flatmate did sort of consult us, and i asked if it would have better reach she said she wasn't sure, so what else could i say to that..

No, it’s not worth causing a drama, but if the rooms were randomly allocated and you are all paying the same rent, it’s a bit unfair that you pay for a service that you can’t use. It depends on how much this is eating into your budget. If it’s not a lot it’s probably not worth rocking the boat, but I’m a little surprised that the flat mates haven’t offered to chip in for the extender.🤷🏼*♀️
Original post by Euapp
No, it’s not worth causing a drama, but if the rooms were randomly allocated and you are all paying the same rent, it’s a bit unfair that you pay for a service that you can’t use. It depends on how much this is eating into your budget. If it’s not a lot it’s probably not worth rocking the boat, but I’m a little surprised that the flat mates haven’t offered to chip in for the extender.🤷🏼*♀️

why woud they, we're not that close and they barely talk to me when i walk into a room..
Reply 5
why woud they, we're not that close and they barely talk to me when i walk into a room..

Because if you are all paying the same rent and bills you should also all have the same access to services in that flat and at the same price. If you don’t have access to the WiFi , then either you don’t pay for it or they contribute to the costs of making it accessible.
Original post by Euapp
Because if you are all paying the same rent and bills you should also all have the same access to services in that flat and at the same price. If you don’t have access to the WiFi , then either you don’t pay for it or they contribute to the costs of making it accessible.

I see what your'e saying, thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending