The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to get a 1st?

So my 2nd year of uni average grade is 64 which is a 2.1.

For my final overall grade, second year is added with final year in the ratio 2:8.

At the moment my grades are 74, 62 and 64 across 3 modules worth 20 credits each.

I have 2 modules still left to complete worth 20 credits and 40 credits.

My lowest 20 credit module will get removed, so I was wondering if anyone can do the math of what I should be trying to get for these final modules?
Hmmm well I'm not very good at maths, I got an A in Numeracy, though, but I'm guessing somewhere in the low to mid eighties (83-87) to bring your grade up to a 70% average, which is 1st. This is because you got low 60s in two of them so you'd need a high grade. However, this is the maths for 20 credits, for fourty, because it's worth double I would aim for around high 70%s so maybe 76-79 just to secure a possible first. All you have to do is study a little harder. But you shouldn't really try and aim for the lowest possible needed mark for a first, but for the highest. Next year I would say that you'd need ALL of your work to be of a first standard, so over 70% in order to get a first. You'd need to balance one module next year with a 62 with another module with somewhere in the mid to high eighties. So just aim for consistency, not better or worse. But if you do find yourself in this position, at least you have some idea of what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
So my 2nd year of uni average grade is 64 which is a 2.1.

For my final overall grade, second year is added with final year in the ratio 2:8.

At the moment my grades are 74, 62 and 64 across 3 modules worth 20 credits each.

I have 2 modules still left to complete worth 20 credits and 40 credits.

My lowest 20 credit module will get removed, so I was wondering if anyone can do the math of what I should be trying to get for these final modules?

You need 71.5 in third year to average 70 overall.

Assuming that you drop your 62, you are below that at the moment on 69. You need to 'average' 73.17 over the last two modules but the 40 credit module carries twice as much weight.

You should also check your degree regulations because most unis have alternative methods of classification for near misses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending