The Student Room Group

Can I get an A in Spanish A level as a native English speaker?

Sometimes I feel a bit demotivated in Spanish because I think because everyone says languages is so hard, and because so many native speakers take it , no matter how hard I try i'll be stuck at B level.

I got a 9 in Spanish GCSE but at AS I got a B (with 6 marks of an A)

I also do History and English lit which means I can't completely give Spanish all my time...

Some encouragement please!
Original post by Lemonsandlemons
Sometimes I feel a bit demotivated in Spanish because I think because everyone says languages is so hard, and because so many native speakers take it , no matter how hard I try i'll be stuck at B level.

I also do History and English lit which means I can't completely give Spanish all my time...

Well... I did French at A level, and got an A at GCSE.... but I found A levels so damn hard! I struggled with exam pressure, my teacher made me really nervous too as she was so strict.

I ad to re do both my AS exams due to poor grades, and after A level came out with a C overall. I wish I could have done better but I just struggled TOO much.

I honestly improved more at university studying French as the teaching and learning approach was more suited to how I learn, and I improved A LOT during my year abroad.

I'd suggest you try to find a pen pal on mylanguageexchange.com to help with speaking.

See if you can organise some work experience in Spain. Try Halsbury Travel.

I don't know what else to say really. Personally I found the A level French really unfair LMAO... and at uni my French was one of the best in my year group at final year ... dare I even say the best apart from the actual native French speakers? It's honestly possible. I got a distinction in spoken French and a 1st in my final spoken exam. My grammar was noted as a 1st as well.
Reply 2
keep going! I do exactly the same subjects as you lol and I get the feeling. (especially as I have two native spanish speakers in my class...) try and expose yourself to as much native speaking as possible, it really helps. Watch spanish tv shows, youtube vids, listen to songs and radio, etc... I had an exchange student and talking to her is great, even if all the new vocab I learn is rude lmao. If you were only six marks off an A, you've got a great chance! Focus on your weakest area (listening or speaking or whatever it may be) and go for it :smile:
Original post by a.frh
keep going! I do exactly the same subjects as you lol and I get the feeling. (especially as I have two native spanish speakers in my class...) try and expose yourself to as much native speaking as possible, it really helps. Watch spanish tv shows, youtube vids, listen to songs and radio, etc... I had an exchange student and talking to her is great, even if all the new vocab I learn is rude lmao. If you were only six marks off an A, you've got a great chance! Focus on your weakest area (listening or speaking or whatever it may be) and go for it :smile:

Aw thanks Hun! And good luck to you too!
Of course you can. I got an A* in French A level despite not being a native speaker. In fact, there was 1 native French speaker in the year below me who actually ended up with a B I think. Native speakers can often be lazy and not put as much work in because they feel they already know it all. Don't worry about them, work hard and I'm sure you'll end up with an A or higher!
What a lucky boy I am being spanish ;v
Original post by Boliviabba
What a lucky boy I am being spanish ;v

Hola,
I´ve replied to something similar before somewhere else. Yes, it is possible. Do not compare yourself to native speakers. They have lots of weaknesses. The lessons and the level are for you, British students, not for Spanish students. Exam boards do not mark according to native speakers (it is a myth). They look carefully at results and establish grade boundaries according to the whole cohort. Produce lots of extra work (even small paragraphs if you can´t write long pieces of work) and get your teacher to mark them. Really helpful. With languages you don't stop learning until May/JUne as the mental processes are different to other subjects. Don't give up y MUCHA SUERTE.

Hola,

I´ve replied to something similar before somewhere else. Yes, it is possible. Do not compare yourself to native speakers. They have lots of weaknesses. The lessons and the level are for you, British students, not for Spanish students. Exam boards do not mark according to native speakers (it is a myth). They look carefully at results and establish grade boundaries according to the whole cohort. Produce lots of extra work (even small paragraphs if you can´t write long pieces of work) and get your teacher to mark them. Really helpful. With languages you don't stop learning until May/JUne as the mental processes are different to other subjects. Don't give up y MUCHA SUERTE.

omg im going to do the same combo as you! can you tell me how they're going??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending