The Student Room Group

80% in final year

So basically I ****ed up real bad in UCL. Was very depressed and I took a year off with the encouragement of my mental health professional who diagnosed me with depression.

So anyway I got a 1st in 1st yr, but a 3rd in 2nd year. Now that I'm back, I'm very refreshed, energized and on top of classes. Problem is, I need to get 80% in my 3rd year (final year) to get a 1st overall ...

Need 62% to get 2.1 overall.

Is this even possible? 80%. I'd like to aim for a 1st but I need to be realistic. I'm already happy with the progress I've made so far considering the fact that I was previously failing out of uni ...
A 1st isn't realistic in this case I think, and is unnecessary realistically anyway. A 2:1 is extremely achievable though (I'm not actually sure how you only need 2% above the grade boundary on average to get a 2:1 but 10% above it to get a 1st, since marks aren't scaled?) and will meet the requirements of basically almost anything else you would be aiming to do after graduating anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
A 1st isn't realistic in this case I think, and is unnecessary realistically anyway. A 2:1 is extremely achievable though (I'm not actually sure how you only need 2% above the grade boundary on average to get a 2:1 but 10% above it to get a 1st, since marks aren't scaled?) and will meet the requirements of basically almost anything else you would be aiming to do after graduating anyway.

Yea, thanks. I'm not sure, I recalculated and recalculated (back then) and these are the marks I need in 3rd year accordingly. 50% weight for 3rd year marks. Stressing out now wondering if I made a mistake and if I actually need a higher mark to get 2.1 ....
Original post by zctpyx0
Yea, thanks. I'm not sure, I recalculated and recalculated (back then) and these are the marks I need in 3rd year accordingly. 50% weight for 3rd year marks. Stressing out now wondering if I made a mistake and if I actually need a higher mark to get 2.1 ....

Well assuming your degree is under classification scheme A at UCL (which I think most are supposed to be) the weighting should be as follows for a 3 year course -

3 Year Bachelors:

Year 1: Best 90 credits, weighted at 1
Year 2: Best 90 credits, weighted at 3
Year 3: All 120 credits, weighted at 5.

Which then the average will put you in one classification range or another (worth noting that most seem to require at least half your modules in third year to be in or above that classification range, although perhaps a moot point here).

Might be helpful if you could give the details of your module results/credit value (we don't need to know what the modules are called, just A, B, C etc and what year they are in and what credit value they were) and people can check your working.

Alternately maybe ask your personal tutor to check for you :smile:

Full details of how they are calculated seem to be here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/academic-manual/chapters/chapter-4-assessment-framework-taught-programmes/section-7-classification section 7.4 onwards
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Well assuming your degree is under classification scheme A at UCL (which I think most are supposed to be) the weighting should be as follows for a 3 year course -

3 Year Bachelors:

Year 1: Best 90 credits, weighted at 1
Year 2: Best 90 credits, weighted at 3
Year 3: All 120 credits, weighted at 5.

Which then the average will put you in one classification range or another (worth noting that most seem to require at least half your modules in third year to be in or above that classification range, although perhaps a moot point here).

Might be helpful if you could give the details of your module results/credit value (we don't need to know what the modules are called, just A, B, C etc and what year they are in and what credit value they were) and people can check your working.

Alternately maybe ask your personal tutor to check for you :smile:

Full details of how they are calculated seem to be here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/academic-manual/chapters/chapter-4-assessment-framework-taught-programmes/section-7-classification section 7.4 onwards

Hey, I want to lyk that I rlly appreciate you coming on here and lending a helping hand, it's a very kind gesture. I've revisited that very site jn as we spoke and it turns out my calculations are correct. However I'm banking on the fact that they say under 7.4.5 that 68.5% also qualifies for 1.1 (UCL has no detriment for Covid-affected students) so I'm rlly praying that that isn't a typo.

I got 74.47% in 1st year and 47.67% in 2nd year (both are best 90 credits) so that lends to my calculation.

Either way I also agree that 1.1 in my case is not terribly realistic but that's not going to stop me from giving my all.

Thank you.
As above, plus note that you "only" need 68.5 for a first under regulation 7.4.5, because you will undoubtedly have achieved at least 70% in half of your final year modules to reach that overall mark.
80% is possible & I know of plenty of examples. But all the examples I know are people who tracked strong academics throughout their whole degree. Ive never seen a jump of 30% in one year, I would say push yourself & see what you achieve. Ultimately you’ll never know if you don’t try but you really are trying to make a colossal turn in academic standards.
Reply 7
Thanks all. I will keep at it.
Original post by zctpyx0
So basically I ****ed up real bad in UCL. Was very depressed and I took a year off with the encouragement of my mental health professional who diagnosed me with depression.

So anyway I got a 1st in 1st yr, but a 3rd in 2nd year. Now that I'm back, I'm very refreshed, energized and on top of classes. Problem is, I need to get 80% in my 3rd year (final year) to get a 1st overall ...

Need 62% to get 2.1 overall.

Is this even possible? 80%. I'd like to aim for a 1st but I need to be realistic. I'm already happy with the progress I've made so far considering the fact that I was previously failing out of uni ...

Hi @zctpyx0,

It sounds like you have had a very tough university journey so if you come out with a 2:2 or a 2:1 that is something that I hope you are proud of.

On top of what others have suggested, the only thing I would add is to make use of the resources available to you at university in your final year including academic and pastoral care.

Finally, as a final year student myself who also wants to achieve a first the best advice I got from graduates has been to start coursework early.

All the best! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 9
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @zctpyx0,

It sounds like you have had a very tough university journey so if you come out with a 2:2 or a 2:1 that is something that I hope you are proud of.

On top of what others have suggested, the only thing I would add is to make use of the resources available to you at university in your final year including academic and pastoral care.

Finally, as a final year student myself who also wants to achieve a first the best advice I got from graduates has been to start coursework early.

All the best! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Thanks for your kind words Alia, I rlly appreciate it. And yes, that's some good advice, I've been making the most of the resources here this year, and once I finish preparing for a graded problem set on Monday I'll get started on coursework. Overall it's been good this year, I was productive during my year off so I'm able to push boundaries back in uni, and so I thank my Lord for his presence and grace this year.

Thanks
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by zctpyx0
Thanks for your kind words Alia, I rlly appreciate it. And yes, that's some good advice, I've been making the most of the resources here this year, and once I finish preparing for a graded problem set on Monday I'll get started on coursework. Overall it's been good this year, I was productive during my year off so I'm able to push boundaries back in uni, and so I thank my Lord for his presence and grace this year.

Thanks

Hi @zctpyx0

I'm sorry to hear you struggled with mental health, it's an awful thing to deal with but I am glad that you're feeling better this year and ready to take on the final year :smile: Although it would be difficult to get a 1st, I think your attitude is the most important thing. Just do your best and whatever you get will be a testament to your hard work and acquiring a degree despite your struggles with mental health. You should be extremely proud of yourself regardless of your grade!

Best of luck !

Estelle
Third Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending