The Student Room Group

Wanting to be somewhat useful and do cool project things

Hi, I'm a senior in high school that got an offer to a super prestigious university in the UK [think Oxbridge level] for fall. I got in purely through academic means; did some Olympiads and read a bunch of books, but as a human being I spend my waking hours in school or home scrolling through Reddit and Discord generally being a lazy person that don't go out or talk to people much. When I talk to other offer holders, they've done like, idk, charity things that helped people, done cool sounding projects, held events in clubs which I've never thought of before and do like meet ups. It sorta makes me feel useless and I'd not like to be ostracised at uni for being a recluse lol, but I'm not 100% sure where I can start, any ideas? Thanks
Original post by PAT_22
Hi, I'm a senior in high school that got an offer to a super prestigious university in the UK [think Oxbridge level] for fall. I got in purely through academic means; did some Olympiads and read a bunch of books, but as a human being I spend my waking hours in school or home scrolling through Reddit and Discord generally being a lazy person that don't go out or talk to people much. When I talk to other offer holders, they've done like, idk, charity things that helped people, done cool sounding projects, held events in clubs which I've never thought of before and do like meet ups. It sorta makes me feel useless and I'd not like to be ostracised at uni for being a recluse lol, but I'm not 100% sure where I can start, any ideas? Thanks

First of all, congratulations on your offer to a prestigious university! It’s important to remember that everyone has their own unique strengths and experiences. You got in through your academic achievements, which is something to be proud of. University is a great opportunity to try new things and meet new people. You could consider joining clubs or organizations that interest you, volunteering for a cause you care about, or attending events and meetups. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and explore new opportunities.
Hi @PAT_22!

Congratulations on your university offer - that's amazing! As has already been said, your academic achievements are impressive, and clearly have been thought well of for you to get an offer - that's a great start, and you should be proud. In order to get myself involved in different things, both before and after starting university, I first looked up articles and free subscriptions relating to Psychology (my current degree!), just to help get insight into what was going on in my area of interest. And then once at university, there was a much greater number of opportunities to get involved in - so if you want to wait until you start university, that's fine! There should be plenty of things to do. There are often different academic, admin, and recreational activities that you can get involved in. For example, I became an academic representative for my department, and also managed to do a voluntary placement at our Babylab, and also got involved in a few of our socities - so there are generally quite a few different things for you to get involved in, and it isn't too late. Just look out for emails, or search around on the internet for things to do in your area! And if you enjoy being online, like with Reddit & Discord, there may be some digital opportunities relating to your course for you to get involved in!

Best of luck with your course!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending