The Student Room Group

Should I do an EPQ or do coding projects?

I want to study math and CS for uni and thought it would be cool to learn coding as practice (as I don't have much experience in it). I'm debating whether I should do this for my EPQ because while it could give me a reduced offer, it only applies if I get a grade A and I don't feel that motivated to do an EPQ. I'm also worried about my A-level grades as I'm being predicted a B in one of them when I need an A.

Should I focus on my A-levels and do some casual coding projects or do an EPQ.
Reply 1
epq is good practice particularly for essay writing and referencing skills. you won't need a whole lot of those studying maths or cs, but you could do an artifact epq and make it a coding project

coding projects aren't really a thing i'd consider a distraction from education. if you enjoy programming you'll find it easier to work on something and in turn uncover some of your interests in cs (hopefully). they'll be a good but minor addition to your personal statement though, and won't weigh heavily in the strength of your application

i'd suggest doing a coding project as an epq, and looking at some typical coding projects that people your age get started with (basic website development, discord bots, etc.) to do in your own time
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
i applied for computer science this year and did an essay for my EPQ. however, one of my friends who also did this made an artifact and did a coding project instead of a dissertation. maybe doing a coding project for your EPQ will keep you more motivated and also give you a chance at a reduced offer. doing a coding project on the side would also be good, but you could really only reference this in your personal statement and wouldn't reduce offers. you can write about the project you do for EPQ briefly in your ps and can be put on your application. however, this is entirely up to you and what you feel would keep you motivated throughout the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending