The Student Room Group

Nottingham and Manchester prestige (Comp sci)

Hey, I've got offers from both of these unis (comp sci) and I prefer Nottingham's campus and as a city.

However, Manchester is higher ranked on QS, Guardian etc.

I already know how to code and intend to work on projects in uni as well as get internships, and I want to get into a high paying tech job (FAANG, Banks etc.)

Would going to one of these unis give me an advantage over the other or does it not matter? Thanks :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Im not too qualified for this so take it with a grain of salt. Im also applying to comp sci this year and attended nottinghams open day. As someone who lives in manchester, you have to consider some things. Remember youll be living in this city for at least 3 years of your life. Both universities are brilliant. Dont forget to take care of your mental before anything as it could be the difference between having a great uni experience and a bad one. If you find living in nottingham may be better, then you have to think about what this can do for you, if you enjoy the environment more youre more likely to work more efficiently etc. Getting accepted to manchester is no easy feat so congrats for that! I unfortunately didnt get accepted to Nottingham because of competition which isnt the worst thing in the world. I believe the main thing like youve said here is as long as youre working on projects and looking for internships, which is also my plan, youll be fine! If you can show a company how much effort you put in then they will value that much more than where it is you went to university. E.g, im planning on developing a mobile app during the summer after college has finished as a way to get a head start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending