The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield LGBTQ+ accommodation

Hi, I'm currently sorting out my accommodation for Sheffield, and am trying to decide whether or not to select an LGBTQ+ flat. For me, I feel like it could be a good idea, it might mean I make friends more easily who share similar interests etc but at the same time I like the idea of self selection instead. Would it be limiting to not select this option or visa versa? Does it make much of an impact to student experience as an LGBTQ+ person to not pick it? Mainly, I would like to know whether before you confirm your accommodation you have the option to revise your application and pick self-selection instead before finalising the form, just so I can see what is available without making any rash decisions :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm currently sorting out my accommodation for Sheffield, and am trying to decide whether or not to select an LGBTQ+ flat. For me, I feel like it could be a good idea, it might mean I make friends more easily who share similar interests etc but at the same time I like the idea of self selection instead. Would it be limiting to not select this option or visa versa? Does it make much of an impact to student experience as an LGBTQ+ person to not pick it? Mainly, I would like to know whether before you confirm your accommodation you have the option to revise your application and pick self-selection instead before finalising the form, just so I can see what is available without making any rash decisions :smile:

Hey, I am not sure about how it works with revising your application. But I am an LGBTQ+ person and a current student at Sheffield. I did not pick a LGBTQ+ flat in first year, and I found a lot of friends through the LBGTQ+ society as well as through other societies, and the majority of the people I met did not live in the LGBTQ+ specific flats. However, I have heard that they are good. The University is very good for inclusivity and there is a big queer community in Sheffield, so I think whatever you choose you will find lots of people to connect with. Either way, I am sure you'll meet lots of great people, and if you do not like your flat, you can always ask to move.
I hope you have an amazing time in Sheffield!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending