The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield - an affordable student city

Hi, I wanted to drop in to talk about the M word - money!

When planning to move to uni, often in a city you haven’t lived in before, it’s natural to also be wondering about the cost of living and how you’ll manage your money while studying.

Sheffield is a really affordable student city - so much so that it was named the most affordable student city in the UK last year (The Royal Bank of Scotland - Student Living Index 2021).

Accommodation, social life and living costs are all well below the national average and there are plenty of FREE things to do and places to explore. Here’s some information about our accommodation and student life to help you look after your money and still have fun while studying in Sheffield.

Sheffield Hallam’s accommodation

:smile: You’re guaranteed a place in halls in your first year - this also applies to students who apply for Sheffield Hallam through clearing.
:smile: All our halls are in popular student areas near our campuses and most are less than a 10-minute walk from your lectures, saving you money on public transport.
:smile: Your rent includes bills, insurance and internet, so you know exactly what you’re spending.

Learn more about accommodation by visiting our Accommodation webpage.

Everyday essentials

:smile: Visit the Moor Market for all your fresh, low-cost grocery shopping needs.
:smile: There are lots of competitively-priced high street shops on the shopping street, The Moor, and well-known supermarkets within walking distance of both Sheffield Hallam’s campuses and popular student areas.

Learn more about food shopping and places to eat in Sheffield city centre by visiting our Guide to Sheffield Food webpage.

Social Life

:smile: Sheffield has loads of gardens and parks to visit - great for low cost picnics, getting together with friends or studying somewhere different. There’s even the indoor Winter Garden, for when the weather gets colder.
:smile: Spend some time exploring Sheffield’s free museums and galleries.
:smile: Head to a great range of cafes and restaurants in the city centre, which offer student discounts.
:smile: Browse Sheffield’s many vintage and second hand shops to find one-off items at bargain prices.

Find out more free and low cost things to do by visiting our Sheffield on a budget webpage.

What are some of the places you're excited about visiting in Sheffield? Let us know below!

Emily (official Sheffield Hallam rep)
(edited 1 year ago)
Does Sheffield Hallam own and run any of the halls of residence? The three we saw on an open day were all run by private companies. Where did you live and would you recommend it? My daughter would need to get to Collegiate Campus easily.

Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam’s accommodation

:smile: You’re guaranteed a place in halls in your first year - this also applies to students who apply for Sheffield Hallam through clearing.
:smile: All our halls are in popular student areas near our campuses and most are less than a 10-minute walk from your lectures, saving you money on public transport.
:smile: Your rent includes bills, insurance and internet, so you know exactly what you’re spending.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by normaw
Does Sheffield Hallam own and run any of the halls of residence? The three we saw on an open day were all run by private companies. Where did you live and would you recommend it? My daughter would need to get to Collegiate Campus easily.

Hi @normaw, Sheffield Hallam has several halls of residence. I haven't personally stayed in them myself but I can let you know more information about them.

Some halls that are closest to Collegiate Campus are LIV (10 minutes walk away) and The Forge (15 minutes walk away). Most of our halls are within a 25 minute walk of Collegiate Campus.

You can see more information on these and all Sheffield Hallam's halls of residence properties on our Halls of Residence webpage. You'll find our handy personalisation tool that allows you to view halls at different price ranges and with specific facilities.

Some reasons we recommend our halls of residence:
- There are no hidden costs with bills fully inclusive.
- In the first year, we guarantee all our students a room in one of our halls with other Hallam students.
- The application process is quick, easy and flexible. with no obligation to accept any room offered.
- Students staying in our halls have access to various support services both in halls of residence and from the University.

I hope this is helpful and just let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help!

When is your daughter thinking of starting university?

@hallamstudents
Thanks,
Emily (official Sheffield Hallam rep)
Original post by normaw

Forge and LIV are your main two options then!
And If you don’t want halls through the uni look at steelworks which is cheap and popular
Hi there!

I stayed in The Elements, which is private but it was really great. It is about a 15 minute walk to both collegiate and city campus and it is located right near an Aldi which is perfect for weekly food shops. The flats are great as they are very modern and come with some amazing facilities. I will link the Sheffield Hallam page about Elements here - https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/accommodation/properties/elements

I would definitely recommend The Elements, I had an amazing time there and it was very sociable meaning I was able to make so many friends.

Alternatively I have heard great things about Liv and The Forge. Liv is very modern but a bit more expensive. The Forge is very socioable and a bit cheaper than them both. Here is the link for the Sheffield Hallam home page about the Halls of residents -
https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/accommodation/properties . Each of these are fairly close to collegiate campus. You can add your budget and requirements and decide which one is best for you.

If you have any other questions about the Elements or any other Sheffield Hallam accommodation then let me know!

I hope this helps.
Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador

Original post by normaw
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending