The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Chem Paper 2 Advanced Organic and Physical Chemistry [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Praying this paper won’t be like the last one
Reply 21
Original post by TypicalNerd
Depends on the question.

For questions where it tells you to draw the structures of both enantiomers, I used to start by drawing a vertical line to act as a ‘mirror’ and on one side, draw the structure of one enantiomer. I’d then draw the reflected structure on the other side of the mirror. Two of the four bonds from the chiral carbon should be solid, straight lines, one should be a hatched line and the fourth bond should be a solid wedge.

For those questions, they won't penalize you if for example in the MS the OH is the group on the top and the H is the wedge directly below when they've placed it the other way round right?
Reply 22
Depends on the question.

For questions where it tells you to draw the structures of both enantiomers, I used to start by drawing a vertical line to act as a ‘mirror’ and on one side, draw the structure of one enantiomer. I’d then draw the reflected structure on the other side of the mirror. Two of the four bonds from the chiral carbon should be solid, straight lines, one should be a hatched line and the fourth bond should be a solid wedge.

I dont think it matters too much WHERE you put the groups as long as there are 2 solid lines, 1 wedge and 1 dotted line. from what I can remember, most mark schemes say ignore orientation of group (or something like that)
Original post by fawsa
For those questions, they won't penalize you if for example in the MS the OH is the group on the top and the H is the wedge directly below when they've placed it the other way round right?

Correct
Reply 24
In Friedel Crafts Acylation, can any acyl chloride be used as the reagent? All the examples use ethanoyl chloride and Chemrevise notes state that the change in functional group is to a phenyl ketone, which is only correct if it's ethanoyl chloride, no?

Edit: oh wait is the electrophile always CH3CO+ regardless of which acyl chloride is used?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by arls99
In Friedel Crafts Acylation, can any acyl chloride be used as the reagent? All the examples use ethanoyl chloride and Chemrevise notes state that the change in functional group is to a phenyl ketone, which is only correct if it's ethanoyl chloride, no?

The only way you can make phenyl aldehydes by Friedel-Crafts acylation is by using methanoyl chloride (which isn’t stable, so it’d have to be made in situ but I digress) as the acyl chloride. Any other acyl chloride will work and will produce a phenyl ketone, as the C=O group will be sandwiched between the arene and the rest of the carbon chain.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 26
The only way you can make phenyl aldehydes by Friedel-Crafts acylation is by using methanoyl chloride (which isn’t stable, so it’d have to be made in situ but I digress) as the acyl chloride. Any other acyl chloride will work and will produce a phenyl ketone, as the C=O group will be sandwiched between the arene and the rest of the carbon chain.

So would you have to draw the phenyl ketone with the CO directly attached to the arene (i.e. you can't write —CH3CO off the ring)?
Original post by arls99
So would you have to draw the phenyl ketone with the CO directly attached to the arene (i.e. you can't write —CH3CO off the ring)?

The C=O is always bound directly to the arene by a C-C bond.

Whether there is -CH3 group also bound to the C=O group by a C-C bond or not depends on which acyl chloride is used. If the acyl chloride used was propanoyl chloride, for example, you’d have a -COCH2CH3 group bound to the arene.
Reply 28
The C=O is always bound directly to the arene by a C-C bond.

Whether there is -CH3 group also bound to the C=O group by a C-C bond or not depends on which acyl chloride is used. If the acyl chloride used was propanoyl chloride, for example, you’d have a -COCH2CH3 group bound to the arene.

Okay thank you!!
Does anyone the conditions for carbonyl —> hydroxynitrile using kcn and excess hcn. The reaction pathways i revise from either dont mention anything, or say dilute or conc h2so4...
Reply 30
Original post by SamueElYackson
Does anyone the conditions for carbonyl —> hydroxynitrile using kcn and excess hcn. The reaction pathways i revise from either dont mention anything, or say dilute or conc h2so4...

I've got room temp, pressure and H2SO4 written down (not sure if it's concentrated or dilute)
Original post by arls99
I've got room temp, pressure and H2SO4 written down (not sure if it's concentrated or dilute)

Ok, im guessing conc/dilute just doesnt need to be mentioned then
Reply 32
Do we need to know how to draw the transition state for the SN2 mechanism of a primary halogenoalkane?
Original post by arls99
Do we need to know how to draw the transition state for the SN2 mechanism of a primary halogenoalkane?

Yes
Reply 34
Original post by SamueElYackson
Praying this paper won’t be like the last one

No fr it needs to be similar to all the other past papers or else I'm failing.
Reply 35
which topics carry the most marks on this paper…?
Reply 36
Original post by kettle02
which topics carry the most marks on this paper…?

organics definitely
Reply 37
These 7 mark synthesis questions are going to ruin me. I have no clue what to do. Even when I have the pathways in front of me I’m still lost. They might as well just take 7 marks off of my paper at the beginning. Any advice for dealing with synthesis?
Reply 38
Original post by Bo77 Tman
These 7 mark synthesis questions are going to ruin me. I have no clue what to do. Even when I have the pathways in front of me I’m still lost. They might as well just take 7 marks off of my paper at the beginning. Any advice for dealing with synthesis?

Memorise the mindmap by HEART. And solve some Organic synthesis topic qs on PMT. I think you'll find them in Topic 17 if you scroll down I'm sure.
Reply 39
dyk if we can use SOCl2 for carboxylic acid into acuchloride or do we have to use PCl5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending