The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Chem Paper 2 Advanced Organic and Physical Chemistry [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pxnyl_
Do you think there will be both an aromatic and aliphatic synthesis question or will they just go for one of those?

i think for some reason theyll do an aromatic one like the one in 2018 and lots of other little alaphatic questions like during mechanisms and stating reagents conditions and practicals thats just me tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply 61
Original post by 3ASTARSINSHALLAH
i think for some reason theyll do an aromatic one like the one in 2018 and lots of other little alaphatic questions like during mechanisms and stating reagents conditions and practicals thats just me tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ohhh okay thank you !!
does anyone else feel screwed lol. im learning content not revising
Original post by charminggem
does anyone else feel screwed lol. im learning content not revising

i kinda feel like I ****ed up paper 1 and idk how I'm going to learn how to do organic synthsis
Original post by BeastModeTrain
i kinda feel like I ****ed up paper 1 and idk how I'm going to learn how to do organic synthsis

U really just have to know the reaction pathways. Physically draw them out for every reaction, you can use chemrevise or pmt to compare. If you’re still struggling after memorising the reaction pathways, a tip my teacher gave is to work backwards from the product. Sometimes wirking backwards can stimulate your memory in different ways than starting from the reactant.
Reply 65
For anyone wanting an extra resource to practice reaction pathways, I really recommend this playlist by machemguy, I think it's really great to look over as a way to test yourself on the reactions you know/ forgot

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi6oabjl6coyHeDoDgZltE3EcC11tgPAy
Reply 66
do practicals show up in paper 2?
Original post by AAMEH
do practicals show up in paper 2?

Occasionally, yes.

Generally practical questions on paper 2 include interpreting the results of qualitative tests for organic functional groups and calculating percentage yields.
Reply 68
Original post by 3ASTARSINSHALLAH
Btw is it guaranteed if a topic doesn’t come up in 1 and 2 then it most definitely comes up in p3 ?

No but you can usually make a good guess. For example in Edexcel physics every single topic that didn’t come up in paper 1 and 2 came up in paper 3
Reply 69
does anyone have a good aromatic synthesis map
Original post by kettle02
does anyone have a good aromatic synthesis map

I can’t attach it but I use the ocr a level one very similar except there’s a couple missing and there’s a blank sheet of it
Just know some of the reactants are different so print out the empty one and use the blank one to fill it in e.. PCl5 instead of SOCl2 for cqeboxylic acid to acyl chloride and LiAlH4 instead of NaBH4
https://www.ocr.org.uk/images/359182-organic-synthesis-reaction-pathways.pdf
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by BeastModeTrain

same here im terrified
Original post by ComDCursus
No but you can usually make a good guess. For example in Edexcel physics every single topic that didn’t come up in paper 1 and 2 came up in paper 3

do you have a list or know anyone who is going to make one? would be useful for all of us
Reply 73
for modern analytic techniques, what usually comes up?
Original post by user927401
for modern analytic techniques, what usually comes up?

IR, mass spec and proton nmr come up all the time. Carbon-13 nmr is pretty rare, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it came up.
Reply 75
i actually cannot do NMR questions to save my life
Reply 76
Original post by arls99
i actually cannot do NMR questions to save my life

ugh you already KNOW Edexcel's cooked up the foulest nastiest h nmr 6 marker for us
Reply 77
Original post by zws
ugh you already KNOW Edexcel's cooked up the foulest nastiest h nmr 6 marker for us

Honestly i can kiss goodbye to 12/13 marks if they give us both an NMR and organic synthesis long question. Grrrrr
how is everyone feeling?
Original post by TypicalNerd
IR, mass spec and proton nmr come up all the time. Carbon-13 nmr is pretty rare, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it came up.

Hey
you see for your unofficial papers what would roughly be an A as it is quite a lot more difficult than the majority of past papers ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending