The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Chem Paper 3 General + Practical Principles in Chemistry [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
is there an unofficial ms?
Original post by adpie
is there an unofficial ms?

lol why do you wanna ruin your summer. Assume you done the best until results day
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Sarah__xxx
Yeah I got 17.2g for ammonia, I think people who got a number that was too high must have written out their Ka formula wrong

i got exactly 17.2g too. Used the Henderson-Hasselbalch method.
Original post by ScoMo2808
i got exactly 17.2g too. Used the Henderson-Hasselbalch method.

Same!! I was worried I’d got it wrong but I remembered the numbers and redid it and it checks out
end me that was SO awful
anyone else get the feeling they could've done better?
idk I feel empty after these exams
Reply 346
If I included nickel in my Kp what’s the max marks I can get for that question 🥲
Assuming there would be TE
(Original post by diiana123)If I included nickel in my Kp what’s the max marks I can get for that question 🥲

Forgot how many marks it normally is but
probably 1/2 bc The Expression would be wrong, value would be wrong and so would ur units tbh idk what marks you’d be awarded- just tryna be honest sorry that’s not the answer you’re looking for
Reply 348
Guys expect an A to be like 55% this year cause the papers were damn hard for edexcel chem. Also enjoy ur summer now, what ur brain tends to do is think of the worst possible outcome and hinder the positivity you have done in the exams so just consider that u probably done way better than you actually think. Have fun guys!!
Reply 349
Original post by Brokusueben
(Original post by diiana123)If I included nickel in my Kp what’s the max marks I can get for that question 🥲

Forgot how many marks it normally is but
probably 1/2 bc The Expression would be wrong, value would be wrong and so would ur units tbh idk what marks you’d be awarded- just tryna be honest sorry that’s not the answer you’re looking for

if there was TE doesnt that mean that the you'd still get the units mark assuming u got the right units from the wrong expression?? so best case scenario you'd only lose 1 mark??
Original post by zws
if there was TE doesnt that mean that the you'd still get the units mark assuming u got the right units from the wrong expression?? so best case scenario you'd only lose 1 mark??

Yeah my fault just seen a MS for a similar question, he’d lose mark for units only cuz that’s a standalone mark but there’s TE on calculation so they normally allow that mark
Original post by Mrill
Guys expect an A to be like 55% this year cause the papers were damn hard for edexcel chem. Also enjoy ur summer now, what ur brain tends to do is think of the worst possible outcome and hinder the positivity you have done in the exams so just consider that u probably done way better than you actually think. Have fun guys!!

Really where did you get that ,info even last year which was the lowest ever I think it was 65% for an. A?
Reply 352
Original post by StudyJourney
Really where did you get that ,info even last year which was the lowest ever I think it was 65% for an. A?

Actually around 59 percent, 55 percent is too low, considering in 2019 it was 59 percent but I found these sets of papers much challenging.
Original post by Mrill
Actually around 59 percent, 55 percent is too low, considering in 2019 it was 59 percent but I found these sets of papers much challenging.

In 2019 it was 202/300 for an a which Is 67%. , but I agree this years paper was harder
Original post by StudyJourney

Last year people knew which topics to revise and so overall most people would’ve done well revising topics they knew would come up and which was worth the most marks. So the overall performance would have been better and so proportionally grade boundaries didn’t need to be too low
I think paper 1 was slightly harder than usual and definitely more time pressured but I thought paper 2 and 3 were fairly standard other than the lack of an organic synthesis question. If anything I think the paper 3 will have similar grade boundaries to last year, there wasn’t many weird completely random 2 mark questions to do with practicals that they sometimes have where it’s hard to know what they’re actually looking for. The calculations were quite standard and paper 2/3 had a lot more standard question that have come up before or very similar to past questions whereas the main reason I think paper 1 was found to be harder was that there weren’t as many familiar questions that were standard stuff that had come up in past papers.

Though at the same time I don’t think people need to stress about previous grade boundaries, ik with these chem papers it feels like how are the boundaries so high every year when it seems so easy to lose marks, but I feel that’s because the marking is quite generous and they allow a lot of answers if they deserve credit and in calculations there is a tonne of error carried forward.

If I had to guess last years boundaries are probably going to be quite similar to this year overall, if I remember correctly last years boundaries were lower than any of the pre covid years and I think the slightly harder paper 1 will probably keep them in that range.
Reply 356
Wow there’s still no pole
the iodine clock questions from paper 2 and 3 have traumatised me
Hi all,

I apologise for my inactivity over the past few weeks. A poll has now been added to this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending