The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Chem Paper 3 General + Practical Principles in Chemistry [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by user927401
okay thanks! what topics are you mainly revising?

Well today I'm going to go over the practical guide from chemrevise and then I'll have a go at TypicalNerd's paper 3 to see what areas I really need to go over again. What about you? :O
Reply 21
yeah same aaaah - do u have a list of the topics that came up in p1&2? cos i was gna go over everything but im not sure which areas to focus on
Original post by Pxnyl_
Well today I'm going to go over the practical guide from chemrevise and then I'll have a go at TypicalNerd's paper 3 to see what areas I really need to go over again. What about you? :O
Reply 22
yeah same aaaah - do u have a list of the topics that came up in p1&2? cos i was gna go over everything but im not sure which areas to focus on

I WISHH I wrote them down after the exams because my memory is terrible but if someone has a list of what came up please post it hereee. I'm so sorry I couldn't be of any help here!! <3 Best case is to just stick to doing the paper and that should give a rough idea on what topics to focus on.
Reply 23
yeah i know cos i lit cant rem anything arghhhh. if anyone remembers, that would be so helpful please
Original post by Pxnyl_
I WISHH I wrote them down after the exams because my memory is terrible but if someone has a list of what came up please post it hereee. I'm so sorry I couldn't be of any help here!! <3 Best case is to just stick to doing the paper and that should give a rough idea on what topics to focus on.
need some urgent advice lads... i checked the advanced information/released topics for last years chemistry paper 3 and it was as follows

Paper 3 9CH0/03
Topic 5 Formulae, Equations and Amounts of Substance, including
understanding of Core Practicals 2 and 3
Topic 12 Acid-base Equilibria, including understanding of Core Practical 9
Topic 16 Kinetics II, including understanding of Core Practical 13a
Topic 13B Entropy
Topic 14 Redox II, including understanding of Core Practical 11
Topic 17B Carbonyl compounds
Topic 18C Organic Synthesis, including understanding of Core Practical 16
Topic 4A The elements of Groups 1 and 2
Topic 19B Nuclear magnetic resonance

so we can see we have had 2,3,9,13,11,16 come up last year.... that means only 6/16 practicals come up on average.... as mentioned in thread, there is chemrevise practicals which is a good resource but it is 43 full pages of tiny writing and i think it's impossible to get through that in 2 days even without past papers.... and it would be gutting to waste time the night before learning about 10 potential practicals that wont come up... whos doing what? some focusing on just past papers? just focusing on predicted topics? just content? just practicals?

its criminal how edexcel have made paper 2 and paper 3 so close... i reckon many people will be in a bad position. low motivation, chem on monday, maths on tuesday, bio on wednesday... now we got the biggest and hardest papers to cram in 2 nights
my only concern is last year over half the people who voted on poll for difficulty of last years paper 3, combined 56% voted for for not so good/terrible and yet still last year it was 78/120 for an A... which is pretty ******* high in my opinion when the smart population of student room found it hard

https://prnt.sc/ZoVfn214IIFq

screenshot to the poll if anyones curious
Reply 26
To be fair the above poll had only 170 people , which would potentially not be reflective of the whole of UK’s performance for grade boundaries
Original post by drsandas
To be fair the above poll had only 170 people , which would potentially not be reflective of the whole of UK’s performance for grade boundaries

yeah that makes it even worse cuz normally you get the bright ones here straight away after an exam to flex their answers and what not...
Original post by Pxnyl_

Hi, good luck with paper 3 on Friday everyone. Please could you attach a link to TypicalNerd’s paper 3?
Reply 29
Original post by Glomerulus765
Hi, good luck with paper 3 on Friday everyone. Please could you attach a link to TypicalNerd’s paper 3?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7336495#post98479493
Reply 30
Do you think they'll include topic 14 because I feel like they included it a lot in paper 1
Reply 31
which core practicals are everyone learning?? as i cant see myself going over content and learning 16 practicals
which core practicals are everyone learning?? as i cant see myself going over content and learning 16 practicals

i aint gonna do practicals... if you just do all the past papers, theres been 6 papers. 7 including specimen. thats potentially 35 practicals that have come up if you assume 5 practicals per paper... that means each practical has come up twice up to now... that should be our revision right there
Original post by a_level185
my only concern is last year over half the people who voted on poll for difficulty of last years paper 3, combined 56% voted for for not so good/terrible and yet still last year it was 78/120 for an A... which is pretty ******* high in my opinion when the smart population of student room found it hard

https://prnt.sc/ZoVfn214IIFq

screenshot to the poll if anyones curious

the thing is not many people took A-levels last year and this is the first time since 2019 where we're not given advanced information
Original post by BigJimbo
the thing is not many people took A-levels last year and this is the first time since 2019 where we're not given advanced information

scariest thing is grade boundaries were highest prepandemic... 80 for an A in 2017 and 85 for an A in 2018 and 83 for an A in 2019... how do so many people score so highly to the point where grade boundaries are that high
You can find all the practical sheets under the dropdown labelled “worksheet”:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/chemistry-2015.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials

I’d also really recommend looking at the walkthroughs for some past papers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotbB3TkWz4&list=PLTMMuJwv83FqfdQxGnqowDQIJThwcoNF7

As others have mentioned, I did write some practice papers (which I will make clear, are NOT predicted papers) that you may wish to attempt. The link to the post with all three papers has already been shared a few posts above this.
guys can someone give me a good resource to revise practicals? I actually dont know any and am unsure what to even know!
Original post by charminggem
guys can someone give me a good resource to revise practicals? I actually dont know any and am unsure what to even know!

See the post immediately above
which big topics are likely to come up in p3?

topic 15 and 18 are two main ones that will most likely come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending