The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Chem Paper 3 General + Practical Principles in Chemistry [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HiteshGulia1
topic 15 and 18 are two main ones that will most likely come up.

what is even likely to come up on transition metals? havent seen very many questions on them
Original post by TypicalNerd
See the post immediately above

do you just recommend looking at the methods for all of them?
Original post by charminggem
what is even likely to come up on transition metals? havent seen very many questions on them

I think stuff about ligand reactions and catalysis.

You could have the core practical involving the preparation of a transition metal complex

You could have definition questions, i.e “state what is meant by …”, where transition metal is quite a common one (any element capable of forming at least one stable ion with a partially filled d subshell).

You could also have questions about the colours of transition metal ions and where they come from (so the d orbitals are partially filled and split in energy, leading to d-d transitions wherein light of one colour is absorbed and the complementary colour is reflected)

And let’s not forget some of their reactions in solution and catalysis, as correctly pointed out in the post above.
(edited 10 months ago)
do you just recommend looking at the methods for all of them?

I would recommend looking over the methods, but those practical sheets have some example questions and crucially some diagrams and answers, too.
Reply 45
I'm so fed up of this honestly
Reply 46
Original post by arls99

ikr i cant wait to be done with these stupid ******* exams
Original post by Pxnyl_
ikr i cant wait to be done with these stupid ******* exams

so hard to stay motivated when basically everyone else is done
I think stuff about ligand reactions and catalysis.

catalysis ? that was like 50% of paper 1
Original post by arls99

fr this has to be the most vile exam. ALL of chem AND ALL of practicals... 2 and a half hours... and its an application paper... after a week with 3 exams in 3 days
Original post by a_level185
fr this has to be the most vile exam. ALL of chem AND ALL of practicals... 2 and a half hours... and its an application paper... after a week with 3 exams in 3 days

it would have been good if this paper was a bit earlier in the exam series rather than being the last paper.
it would have been good if this paper was a bit earlier in the exam series rather than being the last paper.

nahhhhhhh
you on crack bro
imagine having to do this paper without having already revised beforehand everything for the other two papers
that would be ******* impossible
Original post by BeastModeTrain
nahhhhhhh
you on crack bro
imagine having to do this paper without having already revised beforehand everything for the other two papers
that would be ******* impossible

i meant after paper 1 and 2 but before the other papers. if that makes sense.
Reply 53
I’m guessing a long mark synthesis question will come up as it didn’t come up in paper 2. Also another long mark NMR question where you probably have to work out the structure of the molecule using proton and carbon spectra data. Maybe some Zwitterion questions as well. Then the rest of the paper will be a bunch of absolutely disgusting practicals and a hideous titration calculation worth 5 marks. That’s my prediction. Then the following weeks after the paper my prediction will be that I will be physically crying every night and considering whether or not to withdraw my UCAS application because of how badly the exam went and I don’t want the extra pressure on results day when I inevitably fail and have to face the rejection email from my uni, then I will probably start applying for resists next year. Anyone else have any predictions?
i meant after paper 1 and 2 but before the other papers. if that makes sense.

fair, paper 2 was only the other day though lol
Reply 55
Original post by Bo77 Tman
I’m guessing a long mark synthesis question will come up as it didn’t come up in paper 2. Also another long mark NMR question where you probably have to work out the structure of the molecule using proton and carbon spectra data. Maybe some Zwitterion questions as well. Then the rest of the paper will be a bunch of absolutely disgusting practicals and a hideous titration calculation worth 5 marks. That’s my prediction. Then the following weeks after the paper my prediction will be that I will be physically crying every night and considering whether or not to withdraw my UCAS application because of how badly the exam went and I don’t want the extra pressure on results day when I inevitably fail and have to face the rejection email from my uni, then I will probably start applying for resists next year. Anyone else have any predictions?

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Honestly if the paper is exactly how you described I'm sure most of us will be like that too
Original post by Bo77 Tman

well, I just hope the synthesis question involves grignard reagents as that would be more doable and it would be good if the nmr questions aren't worth more than 5 or 6 marks.
well, I just hope the synthesis question involves grignard reagents as that would be more doable and it would be good if the nmr questions aren't worth more than 5 or 6 marks.

i still dont understand grignard reagents...can someone explain
Reply 58
i still dont understand grignard reagents...can someone explain

Halogenoalkane dissolved in dry ether and reacted with Magnesium to form R-Mg-X [GRIGNARDS].
When Grignards is reacted with Methanal it forms a primary alcohol
When Grignards is reacted with any other aldehyde it forms a secondary alcohol
When Grignards is reacted with Ketones it forms a tertiary alcohol
When Grignards is reacted with CO2 it forms a carboxylic acid
Original post by OllieAS345
Halogenoalkane dissolved in dry ether and reacted with Magnesium to form R-Mg-X [GRIGNARDS].
When Grignards is reacted with Methanal it forms a primary alcohol
When Grignards is reacted with any other aldehyde it forms a secondary alcohol
When Grignards is reacted with Ketones it forms a tertiary alcohol
When Grignards is reacted with CO2 it forms a carboxylic acid

You forgot to mention that a dilute acid must be added afterwards in order to hydrolyse the intermediate to the final product in each case, but other than that, your summary was perfect
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending