The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Chem Paper 3 General + Practical Principles in Chemistry [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
so many practicals to memorise can i die
Reply 61
Original post by HiteshGulia1
well, I just hope the synthesis question involves grignard reagents as that would be more doable and it would be good if the nmr questions aren't worth more than 5 or 6 marks.

probs won't be we alr had a question on it, it'll be something disgusting
Reply 62
any chance of like buffer q/Kc calcs? and is it likely we will get a NMR q
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by user927401
any chance of like buffer q/Kc calcs? and is it likely we will get a NMR q

There was no kp or kc in p1 and a 2marker on nmr so both will come up
Reply 64
icl no point predicting anything because in physics paper 3 basically very little predicted came up ( no further mechanics at all and same for some other topics near enough ) it seems stupid to me to gamble on topics coming up as edexcel clearly have no issue avoiding some topics all together just some advice ngl
Reply 65
Guys can someone please explain this? Its in the 2017 past paper, question 5d page 19.
https://www.revisely.co.uk/documents/papers/alevel/chemistry/edexcel/76776-a-level-paper-3-qp.pdf
Original post by sylkiebot
Guys can someone please explain this? Its in the 2017 past paper, question 5d page 19.
https://www.revisely.co.uk/documents/papers/alevel/chemistry/edexcel/76776-a-level-paper-3-qp.pdf

because its a grignard, there is a delta negative charge on the carbon with MG-BR attached (remember thats why you can make a new C-C bond. because its partially negative). so then theres like a substitution where H swaps MG-BR because water is polar and has polar bonds so H is partially positive and attracted to the partially negative carbon. Hydrogen can only form one bond so the O-H/rest of water molecule is disregarded
remember CH3CH2CH3 is just propane... just drawn in a vertical orientation
Reply 68
Original post by 3ASTARSINSHALLAH
There was no kp or kc in p1 and a 2marker on nmr so both will come up

also only 10 marks of organic chemistry in organic paper -_-
Original post by OllieAS345
also only 10 marks of organic chemistry in organic paper -_-

WHAT????? (I sat A level chemistry last year, I have no clue what your papers were like)

That probably means paper 3 will be very organic heavy.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 70
That can't be true, we had 11 with just the isomers 6-marker and synthesis 5-marker, then there were the mechanisms and multiple choice ones so it's way more than 10
Reply 71
do we have to know the practical methods in and out cause if so im done for 💀
Original post by moonbeige
do we have to know the practical methods in and out cause if so im done for 💀

Generally, the practicals they ask for a full method for are things like recrystallisation, making a standard solution and drying an organic liquid.

Otherwise, it’s not common they get you to recite a full method.
(edited 10 months ago)
anyone else think paper 3 is so much harder than first two papers? genuinely aids
Reply 74
Yeah it's horrible I'm really dreading it
what do we think the grade boundaries will be across all 3 papers?
is anyone feeling SO UNPREPARED
Original post by charminggem
is anyone feeling SO UNPREPARED

mate im refreshing every 2 mins to read comments like these to feel better about myself... literally havent had time to prepare for paper 3. dont know why edexcel couldn't just throw this final paper to monday.. i'd rather lose a few days of summer holiday to actually do well on this and actually enjoy my summer holiday
Original post by a_level185
mate im refreshing every 2 mins to read comments like these to feel better about myself... literally havent had time to prepare for paper 3. dont know why edexcel couldn't just throw this final paper to monday.. i'd rather lose a few days of summer holiday to actually do well on this and actually enjoy my summer holiday

LITERALLY SAME. 2 chem paper in one week is criminal especially with other subjects+ the longest paper there is? I'd rather long it out a few days and do well then know ive failed it and worry the whole summer..
Original post by charminggem
LITERALLY SAME. 2 chem paper in one week is criminal especially with other subjects+ the longest paper there is? I'd rather long it out a few days and do well then know ive failed it and worry the whole summer..

im just baffled im doing the past papers and everythings just going over my head and im thinking how on earth is the grade boundary this high... for bio and maths grade boundaries are always low, around 50-60% so i dont worry about having to get everything right but for chem you more or less need 4385853935% for a high grade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending