The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Chem Paper 3 General + Practical Principles in Chemistry [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Emergency meeting. clearly not gonna get all 16 practicals out the way today. anyone got predictions for practicals that may come up/ havent come up in a while...? anything your teachers may have second guessed?
Original post by a_level185
scariest thing is grade boundaries were highest prepandemic... 80 for an A in 2017 and 85 for an A in 2018 and 83 for an A in 2019... how do so many people score so highly to the point where grade boundaries are that high

everybody knows chemistry is one of the hardest A-levels so only the most competitive people take it
im just baffled im doing the past papers and everythings just going over my head and im thinking how on earth is the grade boundary this high... for bio and maths grade boundaries are always low, around 50-60% so i dont worry about having to get everything right but for chem you more or less need 4385853935% for a high grade

literally but i find chem so much harder and so does everyone i know so i dont understand how the boundaries are physically so high
also does anyone have a rough percentage of how much of the paper is available for students who havent revised practicals? do you think theres a chance at least 90/120 marks will be non practicals etc..? i think 30 marks of errors and procedures and practicals is surely more than enough?
Original post by charminggem
literally but i find chem so much harder and so does everyone i know so i dont understand how the boundaries are physically so high

the thing that keeps toying with my head is how they keep saying grades will be, 'back to normal' and same as during PREPANDEMIC. Keep hearing that all the time. which makes things worse because grade boundaries were 80,85 and 83 before pandemic and 72,71 and 78 last 3 years... so does that mean we need f***** 80+ on this cancerous paper to get an A....
the thing that keeps toying with my head is how they keep saying grades will be, 'back to normal' and same as during PREPANDEMIC. Keep hearing that all the time. which makes things worse because grade boundaries were 80,85 and 83 before pandemic and 72,71 and 78 last 3 years... so does that mean we need f***** 80+ on this cancerous paper to get an A....

Genuinely I still don't know who's raising these grade boundaries because they are certainly not on TSR
fr my class average is around 65 highest was 99 but hes an extreme variable
Original post by 3ASTARSINSHALLAH
fr my class average is around 65 highest was 99 but hes an extreme variable

we must be speaking about marks for paper 3 out of 120 surely since first two are capped at 90 marks? so u mean 99/120 right? because 99% for paper 3 is just not heard of ahah...
bruh 66 wouldn't be considered an A for any of the past 6 paper 3's... fun fact, in 2017 66/120 would only just scrape a B and in 2018 and 2019, 66 marks was a C....
Reply 88
Original post by Sarah__xxx
Genuinely I still don't know who's raising these grade boundaries because they are certainly not on TSR

its quite refreshing to know we're all in the same boat though- have u seen the maths threads they're awful💀
Reply 89
also does anyone have any good resources for HNMR I cannot for the life of my understand it
Original post by fawsa
its quite refreshing to know we're all in the same boat though- have u seen the maths threads they're awful💀

Me reading those comments about how paper 2 was easy when I KNOW I didn't get more than 52/100 in that paper :s-smilie:
Paper 3 was actually my saviour I loved paper 3 maths
Original post by fawsa
also does anyone have any good resources for HNMR I cannot for the life of my understand it

https://youtu.be/zjjR4iD9s8A

and yeah everyone on maths are probs further maths students lol
Me reading those comments about how paper 2 was easy when I KNOW I didn't get more than 52/100 in that paper :s-smilie:

which exam board?
Reply 93

no FR paper 2 was not as easy as they made it out, also that stats question with the spinner had me finishedddd
which exam board?

Edexcel, this might be an unpopular opinion lol but stats>>>>> mechanics was lovely this year too, it was such a relief to finally finish a paper strong because both pure papers were awful for me lol
Reply 95
https://youtu.be/zjjR4iD9s8A

and yeah everyone on maths are probs further maths students lol

i've seen it and still cannot understand it tho, thanks anyway!
Original post by fawsa
no FR paper 2 was not as easy as they made it out, also that stats question with the spinner had me finishedddd

Yeah no that spinner had me so confused for ages I think that was the only question I lost any marks for stats on (oh and the k=99 wtaf was that)
Reply 97
Yeah no that spinner had me so confused for ages I think that was the only question I lost any marks for stats on (oh and the k=99 wtaf was that)

ok good same, even the integration was easy. what grades do u need?
Original post by fawsa
i've seen it and still cannot understand it tho, thanks anyway!

https://www.theexamformula.co.uk/edexcel-chemistry-tutorials/

this makes chem quite easy to understand. chemguide is good too but goes a little too indepth...
Original post by fawsa
ok good same, even the integration was easy. what grades do u need?

The integration initially threw me off just because I was actually jaw dropped that edexcel put integration by parts on an APPLIED paper but it was actually a pretty easy integration lol.
I need A*AAAA for my Cambridge offer :frown: and no that's not a typo they acc did me dirty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending