The Student Room Group

Special support loan element

Hello SFE,
My case is quite complicated.
I applied for student finance in February this year and I've been approved .
Later on march I have been Pronounced disable. I've been told that I can apply for Special support element.Good,i called theSFE and asked them what I need to do in order to start the procedure for the extra support.
The lady on the phone asked me to upload the proof that I'm disabled and they will put it together with my maintenance application. Great.
So I don't need to do anything.Again ,Great.
Since then no info what's or ever. I called on the 03.04.23 to see what was going on.The lady on the phone told me they were waiting on my NI confirmation....I did explain to her that they have everything ,other ways I couldn't be approved for maintenance loan.
She assured me that in 24 to 48 hours everything will be on place and I will be able to see it in my SFE account. Nothing.Today I called again to check what the hell is going on .The lady on the phone told me that I need to book an assessment with .... she didn't know Who.in order to my case to be moved forward.I was shocked.On your site says that, I do not need to book an assessment unless you SFE decide I need to have one.
Than she said to send proof of my disability.......I did send this on 22.03.23
official document from DWP that I have LCWRA.(Disable)
She state that this is no proof and she needs letter from my GP. Than I realised that she have nothing to do with SFE and she doesn't know Nothing about finance especially with student finance, and she is just a phone operator.
So PLEASE help me with who I should contact to get some reasonable answers.
EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHOEVER ANSWER THE PHONE TELLS ME COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS
Once again Please advise me what to do.
Thank you in advance and have a great day
Original post by me1983
Hello SFE,
My case is quite complicated.
I applied for student finance in February this year and I've been approved .
Later on march I have been Pronounced disable. I've been told that I can apply for Special support element.Good,i called theSFE and asked them what I need to do in order to start the procedure for the extra support.
The lady on the phone asked me to upload the proof that I'm disabled and they will put it together with my maintenance application. Great.
So I don't need to do anything.Again ,Great.
Since then no info what's or ever. I called on the 03.04.23 to see what was going on.The lady on the phone told me they were waiting on my NI confirmation....I did explain to her that they have everything ,other ways I couldn't be approved for maintenance loan.
She assured me that in 24 to 48 hours everything will be on place and I will be able to see it in my SFE account. Nothing.Today I called again to check what the hell is going on .The lady on the phone told me that I need to book an assessment with .... she didn't know Who.in order to my case to be moved forward.I was shocked.On your site says that, I do not need to book an assessment unless you SFE decide I need to have one.
Than she said to send proof of my disability.......I did send this on 22.03.23
official document from DWP that I have LCWRA.(Disable)
She state that this is no proof and she needs letter from my GP. Than I realised that she have nothing to do with SFE and she doesn't know Nothing about finance especially with student finance, and she is just a phone operator.
So PLEASE help me with who I should contact to get some reasonable answers.
EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHOEVER ANSWER THE PHONE TELLS ME COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS
Once again Please advise me what to do.
Thank you in advance and have a great day

Hi there, We can certainly look into this for you, please contact us by signing into your student finance account and accessing our live chat service where an advisor will be able to answer all of your queries. Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Thank you Angela,
But the chat is with the auto Charlie robot.
Any other way to speak to someone real?

Regards
Original post by me1983
Thank you Angela,
But the chat is with the auto Charlie robot.
Any other way to speak to someone real?

Regards

Hi there, The chatbot will ask if you would like to be transferred to an agent after a number of questions have been answered. This will pass you over to one of our agents. Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Thanks again Angela,
I've been waiting on the chat box to pop up but obviously there is no agent available.
3 hours so far.
Is there any extension number I can call to speak with a person who works directly for SFE no 3rd party call centre.
I'm really tired of being misguided :frown:
Original post by me1983
Thanks again Angela,
I've been waiting on the chat box to pop up but obviously there is no agent available.
3 hours so far.
Is there any extension number I can call to speak with a person who works directly for SFE no 3rd party call centre.
I'm really tired of being misguided :frown:

Hi there, Sorry to hear that you are still awaiting assistance. We do only have the option of the phone, the contact number is 0300 100 0607. Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Sorry to hear that you are still awaiting assistance. We do only have the option of the phone, the contact number is 0300 100 0607. Thanks, Angela

Yeah this is the phone number I get all the confusing info from.
I guess I just have to wait and .....hope for a miracle.
(Miracles exist only in ferry tales)
Reply 7
Once again on the phone with SFE.
The Phone Operators do not make any difference between Special Support Element (SSE) and Disabled Student Allowance (DSA).
I keep explaining that I want to apply for SSE no DSA.
So I've been promised they will make notes and next week Tuesday my case will be picked up (Whatever that means).

Regards
Original post by me1983
Once again on the phone with SFE.
The Phone Operators do not make any difference between Special Support Element (SSE) and Disabled Student Allowance (DSA).
I keep explaining that I want to apply for SSE no DSA.
So I've been promised they will make notes and next week Tuesday my case will be picked up (Whatever that means).

Regards

Hi there,

It sounds like a referral has been made to the assessors, and they'll review you for the Special Support Loan. This normally takes no more than 5 working days, so this should be done by Tuesday like you said.

You can certainly try again to send us a live chat today if you want us to check this.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending