The Student Room Group

How long does it take to write a 3rd year dissertation?

I’m kinda panicking because my dissertation is due in a month and I’m nowhere near even finishing the first draft! I’ve collected all my research etc. and just need to actually write it, but I’m worried that I haven’t given myself enough time?

Is 1 month enough or should I ask for an extension? It’s 7000 words.
Reply 1
I just recently completed my 10,000-word dissertation and basically did all my data collection in one week because it was quantitative and worked on it every day for a week literally until 2-3 AM everyday and managed to finish it. A month is surely more than enough for you to finish it as long as you work on it every single day.
Yes 1 month is sufficient but you need to motor
Original post by as2002x
I’m kinda panicking because my dissertation is due in a month and I’m nowhere near even finishing the first draft! I’ve collected all my research etc. and just need to actually write it, but I’m worried that I haven’t given myself enough time?

It took me over 4 weeks to write 8,000 words for a 40 page dissertation.
Original post by as2002x

7000 words in 30 days. That's 233 words per day. At a sedate typing rate of 20 words per minute, that's 12 minutes per day.
You could do it on the bog. Or alternatively do 4 x 30 minute sessions per day for the next 4 days and you'll have it finished. OK add an hour or two thinking and composing time per day to be on the safe side. You can think and compose in the bath, or the bus or whilst out for a walk in this lovely spring weather.

The big trick is: DON'T PROCRASTINATE. Get down to it tomorrow. Don't worry for the next 3 days if it's not the highest quality. Do your best. Bang it out. Then when you've got it finished - by Sunday this week at the latest, leave it alone for a couple of days, then read it over from start to finish. Having read it over make it better, starting with the worst bits.

Don't ask for the extension. Take more pride in your ability to get things done.
Can you actually "ask for an extension"? Not heard that expression in a long time. The deadline is the deadline, tutors cannot grant extensions, you have to go through the extenuating circumstances route for late submission which requires supporting evidence.
Original post by as2002x

Hey!
I understand how stressful it can be to have a looming deadline for a dissertation. In regards to your situation, it is important to assess whether or not you have given yourself enough time to complete the task at hand. Writing a dissertation typically requires a significant amount of time and effort, especially when it comes to organizing and analyzing research. With only a month left and no first draft completed, it may be difficult to finish within this timeframe.
If you feel that you have not given yourself enough time and are struggling to make progress, it may be worth considering requesting an extension. However, if you believe that you can complete the dissertation within a month, creating a realistic schedule that breaks down the writing process into manageable tasks can help you stay on track and meet your deadline.
All the Best for your dissertation!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending