The Student Room Group

No motivation to do late assignment

I’m in 3rd year so have my dissertation to also do. All of my course mates have started writing their dissertations and I haven’t as I’m still catching up on assignments from last semester that I had to get extensions on due to personal reasons. I’ve asked my tutor for help on the dissertation and the missing assignments and he’s not answering and I can never find him when I’m on campus. I have two left to do from last semester and have no idea how to start them at all and I’ve tried asking course mates to no avail.
I’m getting very stressed about being behind on my dissertation as I’ve also done nothing for this I don’t even have my texts or anything. What can I do to get these old assignments out of the way if I have no help?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’m in 3rd year so have my dissertation to also do. All of my course mates have started writing their dissertations and I haven’t as I’m still catching up on assignments from last semester that I had to get extensions on due to personal reasons. I’ve asked my tutor for help on the dissertation and the missing assignments and he’s not answering and I can never find him when I’m on campus. I have two left to do from last semester and have no idea how to start them at all and I’ve tried asking course mates to no avail.
I’m getting very stressed about being behind on my dissertation as I’ve also done nothing for this I don’t even have my texts or anything. What can I do to get these old assignments out of the way if I have no help?

Hi there

Have you checked whether these assignments are compulsory to complete? If they are not, maybe you can consider leaving them for now and then discuss an outline with your tutor/professor during their office hours. If they are compulsory, do you know what the penalty is for missing an assignment? I missed one of mine and even though students can be referred to the Director of Studies for missing formatives, no action was taken. I am in third year too, so I understand the burden of writing a dissertation. I would definitely prioritize the dissertation over the assignments especially if they don't count towards your final degree.

If none of this helps, is there any academic support available from your university other than your tutor? Maybe try discussing this with your academic advisor or your department's admin team? If you're at Durham, I can signpost you to some resources :smile:

-Himieka
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

Have you checked whether these assignments are compulsory to complete? If they are not, maybe you can consider leaving them for now and then discuss an outline with your tutor/professor during their office hours. If they are compulsory, do you know what the penalty is for missing an assignment? I missed one of mine and even though students can be referred to the Director of Studies for missing formatives, no action was taken. I am in third year too, so I understand the burden of writing a dissertation. I would definitely prioritize the dissertation over the assignments especially if they don't count towards your final degree.

If none of this helps, is there any academic support available from your university other than your tutor? Maybe try discussing this with your academic advisor or your department's admin team? If you're at Durham, I can signpost you to some resources :smile:

-Himieka

Hi there

Sorry to hear about your situation, I know it can be really stressful to be in. I would recommend focusing on the assignment deadlines first, instead of worrying about the dissertation at the same time. Once you are able to get this one done, you will have time to focus completely on your dissertation.

Usually, you can get started on a topic by looking at relevant lectures- these will be your primary source of information, allowing you to then expand your research. Often you can find further reading materials in seminar guidance. Perhaps you could start working on these first whilst waiting for your seminar leader to reply back.

Alternatively, are you able to go to the module convenor for some help? If you explain your situation, you may be able to get some guidance as to how to go about completing the work.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Kent
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

-Himieka

Hi there

Sorry to hear about your situation, I know it can be really stressful to be in. I would recommend focusing on the assignment deadlines first, instead of worrying about the dissertation at the same time. Once you are able to get this one done, you will have time to focus completely on your dissertation.

Usually, you can get started on a topic by looking at relevant lectures- these will be your primary source of information, allowing you to then expand your research. Often you can find further reading materials in seminar guidance. Perhaps you could start working on these first whilst waiting for your seminar leader to reply back.

Alternatively, are you able to go to the module convenor for some help? If you explain your situation, you may be able to get some guidance as to how to go about completing the work.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Because it’s such a small course the module convener is my lecturer for this module and also my dissertation supervisor so they’re MIA for all of my questions regarding anything at all :frown: I’m currently writing my introduction so will look at the previous lecture materials although again there’s very little as this person likes to upload the bear minimum 🙄
Reply 4
The first thing you should do IMMEDIATELY is speak to your Personal Tutor, the Programme Administrator and any departmental student support officers. It is essential that the university knows about how you are struggling. Do this rather than waiting for a tutor who may not reply - and to be fair to them, there is only so much they can do to help you (such as sit down and plan a campaign of action, but they can't tell you how to do the assessments).
If the personal circumstances which prevented you from submitting last semester are ongoing, then you should gather evidence for that.
I think once you have done this, you will feel some relief. perhaps then you will be able to start sorting this out.

Hi anon,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling with assignments.

I would advise to just focus on your assignment deadlined for the time being until they are complete and then focus on your dissertation once they have been submitted. I would recommend making a study timetable and sticking by it. Clearly state what you want to achieve by the end of each day so that you have a clear plan. But definitely don't leave the dissertation too long as this will be vitally important for you final grade.

I would also try contacting someone else in the department to ask if they would have any advise on how to best approach the assignments and explain that you haven't been able to get in contact with your tutor. They may be able to best advise you on what topics need to be covered in the assignment.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck with your assignments and dissertation!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Anon,

It might be an idea to contact academic support services. They might be able to look through the assignment that you have to do and help you understand what is required. The library might also be running some sessions on critical thinking and writing or be able to provide you with tips on how to write a dissertation.

I think since your tutor is not responding, there's no point sending email after email. It could make them feel less inclined to reply. Also perhaps once you've started writing something they might be able to give you more useful feedback, so even though you might feel like you don't know what to write, once something is down on paper it might be easier to work from that.

Try not to compare yourself with your peers. Everyone works at different speeds. While working on the assignments that you need to do, if you can make a hour or so regularly to do a little bit on your dissertation then you can have that ticking along even it's not much. It might make you feel more calm and make it easier after you have finished your assignments to continue with your dissertation.

Try not to panic! It is a stressful year and is a demanding year but if you can focus your mind then there is still time to get things done.

Perseverance conquers all,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending