The Student Room Group

How long did your dissertation take you to do?

So, including research and writing, how long did it take you??

Honestly, mine only took me a week or so.

I know that is appalling and it will likely reflect on my grade. But just curious to know how long it took others!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

I know that is appalling and it will likely reflect on my grade. But just curious to know how long it took others!

Research for the proposal took one month. Writing the proposal took about two weeks.

Research took about three months.

Writing the dissertation took about two months.

All together, it took me 6 months to put together the dissertation.
Around 2 months

My one was 4000 words only but it was a very technical topic!!!!!

And obviously in those 2 months i had other things to do such as assignments/coursework/lectures etc

mines due on Friday i've done 3671 words so far :smile:
Reply 4
mines due on Friday i've done 3671 words so far :smile:

How many words is it going to be?
Original post by Sataris
How many words is it going to be?

9750 exact lol it's supposed to be 10,000 but that's close enough and ik how to make it look like i've met the word count so when they mark it . it won't come up as 9750 words
It took me half an hour to collect data, 4 hours to analyse data, half an hour to find stats and sources backing up what I wanted to say (typing key words and phrases into Science Direct and just referencing the papers without really reading them), 4 hours to write 10,000 words, 1 hour to reference.

I didn't bother proofreading what I wrote, and did the whole thing in one day.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I got 65% though.

If I'd have spent more time on it, it could well have been the difference between getting a 2:1 and a 1:1, so I do kick myself a little for it even now.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
It took me half an hour to collect data, 4 hours to analyse data, half an hour to find stats and sources backing up what I wanted to say (typing key words and phrases into Science Direct and just referencing the papers without really reading them), 4 hours to write 10,000 words, 1 hour to reference.

I didn't bother proofreading what I wrote, and did the whole thing in one day.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I got 65% though.

If I'd have spent more time on it, it could well have been the difference between getting a 2:1 and a 1:1, so I do kick myself a little for it even now.

lol can you help me out with mine its due friday :smile:
lol can you help me out with mine its due friday :smile:

Haha I doubt I'd be much help, it's a while since I've done any academic writing!
Haha I doubt I'd be much help, it's a while since I've done any academic writing!

lol ok:biggrin:
Reply 10
Undergrad took me less than a week, masters took me about a week, PhD has taken me about 8 months to get 3/4 of the way through.

Undergrad and masters were topics I was already supremely familiar with before I started the degree, so I knew the literature prior to writing it. Made a big difference.
Reply 11
9750 exact lol it's supposed to be 10,000 but that's close enough and ik how to make it look like i've met the word count so when they mark it . it won't come up as 9750 words

10k is generally an upper limit rather than prescriptive, your current wordcount will usually be fine.
lol ok:biggrin:

From previous experience though, I'd say that "get off TSR" is always decent advice with a deadline looming :P.
From previous experience though, I'd say that "get off TSR" is always decent advice with a deadline looming :P.

lol good advice !
Original post by gjd800
10k is generally an upper limit rather than prescriptive, your current wordcount will usually be fine.

ah that's cool thanx for letting me know :smile:
Approximately 300 hours in total.

But it was well worth it.

I had 42% in my first draft, supervisor was the most unhelpful...

Worked my butt off and somehow pulled off 82% in the final piece :biggrin:
Im sorry but too many degrees have become a joke!!??

We have students here and there putting in half-bothered day’s work in and getting 2:1s

This is just ridiculous

The standards have fallen way too much

Or the marking is far too lenient

I have seen it all for myself

Too many people getting 2:1s and above. That number needs to be shredded right down, and it starts by making degrees more rigorous

You conveniently blanked me :frown:

You must have done a mickey mouse degree, right!!!?

We have students here and there putting in half-bothered day’s work in and getting 2:1s

This is just ridiculous

Too many people getting 2:1s and above. That number needs to be shredded right down, and it starts by making degrees more rigorous

As much as I hate to say it, you are right.

I am going to be awarded either a 2.1 or 2.2 degree, and either way, I don't actually deserve it. Doing a dissy in a week, essays in a day, revising for exams a few days beforehand, barely attending classes, and doing little-no work throughout the year. Even a 2.2 should not be awarded to that sort of work ethic. Back in the day I would have gotten a 3rd if lucky, or just failed.

So yes, you are right. Degrees are being given out for the sake of it. People like myself simply are being awarded diplomas for no reason! No real interest or effort in subject.

This is just ridiculous

I totally agree! At my Uni, a significant proportion over your dissertation grade is determined by continued and regular meetings with your supervisor and providing proof of consistent progress. If you left it to the last minute, you'd be lucky to get a 2:2 even if the actual dissertation was half decent!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending