The Student Room Group

MSc research project

Hi guys,

I have to choose between two projects for my MSc.

The project I am more inclined towards is quite new so I am assuming there’d be more chance to get published as it’s new and everyone who will be part of it, their name will be included if it gets published. However, as it’s new so there aren’t much relevant papers on it so I assume it will be difficult to write a dissertation as I won’t have much references.

On the other hand, there’s this project which isn’t new research so there are papers related to it so I won’t have difficulty in writing a dissertation but it would be difficult to get my name published in it. Right?

What do you guys think about the way I’m thinking? Do you agree? Any advice which one i should go for? I really want my name to be published if of course I’d make worthy contributions.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi guys,

The project I am more inclined towards is quite new so I am assuming there’d be more chance to get published as it’s new and everyone who will be part of it, their name will be included if it gets published. However, as it’s new so there aren’t much relevant papers on it so I assume it will be difficult to write a dissertation as I won’t have much references.

On the other hand, there’s this project which isn’t new research so there are papers related to it so I won’t have difficulty in writing a dissertation but it would be difficult to get my name published in it. Right?

What do you guys think about the way I’m thinking? Do you agree? Any advice which one i should go for? I really want my name to be published if of course I’d make worthy contributions.

Hi,

What is the motivation behind publishing for you? If it would not help your career goals I would say go with the project that you would have an easier time writing with.

Speak to both project supervisors if you can and tell them where your head is at if you feel comfortable. I am not sure how possible this is but could you potentially do the one where you feel more comfortable writing the dissertation and see if you can get involved in the other one on the side? This may be a lot to take on so if it is something you are able to do, take your time to think about it.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hi,

What is the motivation behind publishing for you? If it would not help your career goals I would say go with the project that you would have an easier time writing with.

Speak to both project supervisors if you can and tell them where your head is at if you feel comfortable. I am not sure how possible this is but could you potentially do the one where you feel more comfortable writing the dissertation and see if you can get involved in the other one on the side? This may be a lot to take on so if it is something you are able to do, take your time to think about it.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well.

Alia

Do you think too that if a project is new it’d be difficult to write a dissertation? Do supervisors guide as in eg; what to include in the introduction?

I am allowed to only choose one and the supervisor for both the projects is the same.
Do you think too that if a project is new it’d be difficult to write a dissertation? Do supervisors guide as in eg; what to include in the introduction?

I am allowed to only choose one and the supervisor for both the projects is the same.

Hi,

I am an undergraduate student so I am actually just writing mine!

I would highly recommend speaking to your supervisor about both projects as soon as possible. They will be able to give you better advice than anyone on here can.

I do understand this is not quite the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps.

Alia
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi guys,

Anon,

I don't think you should worry about getting published. I think the most important thing is writing the best dissertation that you can, so that you can get a good mark for your MSc. This could then lead to you doing a PhD where you could have more opportunities to publish work.

All that being said, if you know that your interest is in the project which is quite new and you are more motivated to do the work, then it might be better to pursue it.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending