The Student Room Group

Can I finish my dissertation in 3 weeks?

After months of procrastination on my 8,000 word dissertation, I’ve now only got 3 weeks left. I’m very very stressed but for some reason can’t get started. I’ve done most of my research, I have my topic and a basic plan. Any advice/motivation/similar stories people can share? How can I get myself to start this dissertation?
I am the queen of procrastination and I have been in you position so I completely understand how upset and scared and angry at yourself you are.

First things first make a cuppa and try to relax (better said than done). Take 5 minutes to yourself, eat something that won't make you feel sick and take a shower/walk/yoga/etc. to calm your mind.

Then make a fresh cuppa and sit down with the module handbook. Look at the mark scheme and at the weightings of each section. You'll want to focus your time on the most heavily weighted sections to get the maximum amount of marks possible. Also look at any tips they've given - if it says to write in pt12 and single sided don't lose silly marks by not doing this!!

Write a dissertation outline. i.e abstract, into, methods, results, conclusion, discussion. Do the research and write the results in, then write the intro and ensure you've explained everything you've covered in your research. After that go back to conclusion + discussion - make sure to refer to other research (extra from the intro) and what your findings mean to the wider context.

Fill in the gaps ie. methods, etc.

Use the website 'cite this for me' - absolute lifesaver and does all the citations/referencing for you to save time. Just remember that the bibliography expires after so long so make sure you save it into your dissertation every day.

Get other people to read over sections for you - better if it's someone who doesn't know the topic - to check for spelling/grammar/etc.

Just plug away at it every day and you'll be fine - 3 weeks is a long time. Just don't self-sabotage i.e. watch netflix for 5 hours cause you think you're gonna fail anyway. Cause if you do that it definitely won't get done!!

Good luck - you can do it!!!!
Original post by olibolicoli
I am the queen of procrastination and I have been in you position so I completely understand how upset and scared and angry at yourself you are.

First things first make a cuppa and try to relax (better said than done). Take 5 minutes to yourself, eat something that won't make you feel sick and take a shower/walk/yoga/etc. to calm your mind.

Then make a fresh cuppa and sit down with the module handbook. Look at the mark scheme and at the weightings of each section. You'll want to focus your time on the most heavily weighted sections to get the maximum amount of marks possible. Also look at any tips they've given - if it says to write in pt12 and single sided don't lose silly marks by not doing this!!

Write a dissertation outline. i.e abstract, into, methods, results, conclusion, discussion. Do the research and write the results in, then write the intro and ensure you've explained everything you've covered in your research. After that go back to conclusion + discussion - make sure to refer to other research (extra from the intro) and what your findings mean to the wider context.

Use the website 'cite this for me' - absolute lifesaver and does all the citations/referencing for you to save time. Just remember that the bibliography expires after so long so make sure you save it into your dissertation every day.

Get other people to read over sections for you - better if it's someone who doesn't know the topic - to check for spelling/grammar/etc.

Just plug away at it every day and you'll be fine - 3 weeks is a long time. Just don't self-sabotage i.e. watch netflix for 5 hours cause you think you're gonna fail anyway. Cause if you do that it definitely won't get done!!

making that many teas is gonna make them procrastinate by going to the toilet every 10 minutes
Reply 3
Original post by olibolicoli

Thank you! This is definitely helpful. I’m just being to lose hope as my dissertation supervisor is on strike for two weeks so I don’t feel like I’ll get much help from her. I’m going to get 1000 words done today.
Original post by florrieh13
Thank you! This is definitely helpful. I’m just being to lose hope as my dissertation supervisor is on strike for two weeks so I don’t feel like I’ll get much help from her. I’m going to get 1000 words done today.

That sucks :frown: but yeah just keep plugging away and you'll get there
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
making that many teas is gonna make them procrastinate by going to the toilet every 10 minutes

hahahaha
Reply 6
Just in case anyone cares.

I finished it one day before it was due.

I got 62 and was awarded a 2:1!

They do say diamonds are made out of pressure. Wishing everyone the best who are in dissertation session.
Original post by florrieh13
Just in case anyone cares.

I finished it one day before it was due.

I got 62 and was awarded a 2:1!

They do say diamonds are made out of pressure. Wishing everyone the best who are in dissertation session.

That's crazy! I'm looking at this because my dissertation is due in 3 weeks! haha funny how life works.
Reply 8
Original post by Zure_real12
That's crazy! I'm looking at this because my dissertation is due in 3 weeks! haha funny how life works.

Lol. Have you started it yet?
Original post by LeoKisia
Lol. Have you started it yet?
I started writing it 1 month and a week before submission or so. I’m 5 days away from submission now with a completed first draft. The quality is rubbish imo though.
I started writing it 1 month and a week before submission or so. I’m 5 days away from submission now with a completed first draft. The quality is rubbish imo though.

What did you get?
Original post by MrSoloDolo
What did you get?

just got my result recently i got 75
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Just wake up in the morning and understand that if you don’t do it, you will have problems.
just got my result recently i got 75

That’s great! Had you done all your research? I’m currently in a similar spot.
so i started 2 months prior but the first month i was confused on what topic i wanted to do, the data i needed, the analysis, how to structure it. essentially the first month was purely trial and error and researching. for the 2nd month (1 month before deadline) I found a paper online that had done a very similar topic (I DID NOT PLAGIARISE DO NOT DO THIS), but I basically used to help “guide” me. (read between the lines). and i wrote a lot that month. some days i’d write 2000 words, some days i’d write 500. I ended up with 17k words. Good luck.
so i started 2 months prior but the first month i was confused on what topic i wanted to do, the data i needed, the analysis, how to structure it. essentially the first month was purely trial and error and researching. for the 2nd month (1 month before deadline) I found a paper online that had done a very similar topic (I DID NOT PLAGIARISE DO NOT DO THIS), but I basically used to help “guide” me. (read between the lines). and i wrote a lot that month. some days i’d write 2000 words, some days i’d write 500. I ended up with 17k words. Good luck.

Had you known/researched about the topic before those 2 months at all?

I’m writing something I did a module on last year, but as for specific research this year I’ve only read a couple books and skimmed through a couple dozen articles. I’m almost halfway of the world count with a couple weeks left. Not sure if I’ve screwed myself over!
bro the topic was on machine learning (i had to use python). I had never used python or coded anything in my life before those 2 months. If you’re smart and know how to beat the system you can easily get a high grade from online resources.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending