The Student Room Group

Medicine- Newcastle or Glasgow

Hi just wanted some advice , my daughter has an offer to study medicine at Newcastle and Glasgow universities. Any thoughts which is better to choose and any personal experiences. That would be very helpful. Thanks
Original post by Nhans
Hi just wanted some advice , my daughter has an offer to study medicine at Newcastle and Glasgow universities. Any thoughts which is better to choose and any personal experiences. That would be very helpful. Thanks

I recently visited Glasgow uni and they’ve invested a LOT into med buildings and research stuff the uni area is also rly nice, maybe compare stats and if possible visit the unis if it comes down to location
Reply 2
Original post by Saffronnn•
I recently visited Glasgow uni and they’ve invested a LOT into med buildings and research stuff the uni area is also rly nice, maybe compare stats and if possible visit the unis if it comes down to location

Thanks, we have recently gone to the offer day at Glasgow and it looks really good and agree they have invested a lot into the medical school. We live in NCl which is a good uni as well. My daughter is inclined for Glasgow, just wanted any thoughts about pros and cons to help make the decision . Thanks
Reply 3
In league tables, Glasgow is a better university in general and for this subject. See www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk
Newcastle is a bit more popular with private school students, though, with approx 23% there coming from private school for all subjects on average. Newcastle in general is a popular place with some, regardless of rankings, perhaps because its main building is attractive and there's plenty to do in the city. At Glasgow, it's approx 16%. Newcastle did used to have its degrees awarded by the University of Durham until the 1960s (and the University of Leicester, top 10 for Medicine (as is Glasgow) in all but entry requirements, used to have its degrees awarded by the University of London. Reading used to have its degrees awarded by the University of Oxford).

Edit: Glasgow's research intensity is only 57%, Newcastle's is 70%. So whilst the average quality of research is a little higher on average at Glasgow (for this subject (89% v 82%) and in general (86% v 82%)), Newcastle has a higher percentage of staff doing high quality research for subjects in general. For this reason, I am now cautious about saying Glasgow is 'better' as a university overall, although league tables do say that. Glasgow is the most populous Scottish city after all.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending