The Student Room Group

Doing a Business degree at University without an A level in Business

So I applied for a job position but they said all the spaces are filled up but they said I ca apply for a course in level 4 business at their University. The only issue I have is I never done it at A level, so would I struggle doing it at Uni? I told the person what A levels I done and he didn't seem to mind that I didn't mention Business.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by skymoon92
So I applied for a job position but they said all the spaces are filled up but they said I ca apply for a course in level 4 business at their University. The only issue I have is I never done it at A level, so would I struggle doing it at Uni? I told the person what A levels I done and he didn't seem to mind that I didn't mention Business.

I wouldn't say struggle.

When I did A Level Business Studies (I didn't do it at GCSE), it took a while for me to get my head around things and get what they are looking for (I'm not exactly a business person, more sciency). If you're not the type who likes writing essays or can easily articulate things, then you might need to try to work a bit harder to get yourself thinking in a different way.

The first year of a business degree is like A Level Business Studies, but academic. If anything, I would argue the first year of a business degree is easier than A Level Business Studies (but I can't really say that because they're on different NVQ levels).

It's true, you need the equivalent of 3 random A Levels so long you have the right grades in order to do the course. In short, it's like the jack of all trades and they accept all Toms, *****, and Harrys so long you are smart enough. This doesn't change at postgrad usually either.

So long you can get around how you think in a business context, I think you should be fine. It's a bit of a learning curve if you come from a completely different background.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I wouldn't say struggle.

When I did A Level Business Studies (I didn't do it at GCSE), it took a while for me to get my head around things and get what they are looking for (I'm not exactly a business person, more sciency). If you're not the type who likes writing essays or can easily articulate things, then you might need to try to work a bit harder to get yourself thinking in a different way.

The first year of a business degree is like A Level Business Studies, but academic. If anything, I would argue the first year of a business degree is easier than A Level Business Studies (but I can't really say that because they're on different NVQ levels).

It's true, you need the equivalent of 3 random A Levels so long you have the right grades in order to do the course. In short, it's like the jack of all trades and they accept all Toms, *****, and Harrys so long you are smart enough. This doesn't change at postgrad usually either.

So long you can get around how you think in a business context, I think you should be fine. It's a bit of a learning curve if you come from a completely different background.

Okay thank you so much for this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending