The Student Room Group

EPQ - how important is the subject to universities?

I'm starting my EPQ soon and I want to know how important the subject I choose to do mine on is important to universities. I want to do business/marketing at uni so should I choose a topic related to this or can I do anything?
Original post by izzrh
I'm starting my EPQ soon and I want to know how important the subject I choose to do mine on is important to universities. I want to do business/marketing at uni so should I choose a topic related to this or can I do anything?

They don't really care tbh. I doubt any of them will even read it, but if you feel it would be beneficial to complete an EPQ related to your degree of choice then go for it.
thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by izzrh

i want to study entertainment business /marketing as well, and now im planning to research the industry of kpop for epq (focusing on the marketing decisions and strategy)
Original post by Dyyyyi
i want to study entertainment business /marketing as well, and now im planning to research the industry of kpop for epq (focusing on the marketing decisions and strategy)

wow that's such a coincidence one of my stronger ideas was about marketing in the kpop industry too
Original post by izzrh

It's not necessary but many top universities like EPQs, especially when related to the field you wish to study as it shows passion for the subject and depth of knowledge in the subject. Most universities value 3 A levels and an EPQ over 4 A levels as they prioritise depth of knowledge over breadth of knowledge.
Original post by izzrh

Hi! The main benefit of doing an EPQ is that some universities will offer a reduced entry grade (for example, ABB with an A in EPQ instead of AAB without EPQ). However, it is still beneficial to do especially if you are going into a degree that will require research of secondary materials, essay writing or presentations. EPQ mostly aims to help students develop these skills prior to going to university. I personally am very glad that I did an EPQ as I struggled a lot less on my first university level essay compared to some other people who didn't have the experience with writing and research that I did.
Hope this helps!
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergrad at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending