The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton accommodation questions

I have been accepted at Wessex Lane accommodation for September, any current students, is this a good accommodation and what are any key tips for having a good time at Wessex?
Hi I am due to apply now, did you put that as first choice? I have watched a few videos on YouTube to get more feel about it. It is great in terms of buses and getting shops and places.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
It was my 3rd choice, I had part catered at Highfield as my first choice as my ADHD means I have trouble remembering to make myself food etc. and Mayflower as my second choice as it’s closest to the NOC (I’m doing marine bio) so since I got my 3rd choice and I applied the day applications opened, I would get your application in ASAP. I went and visited Wessex and I liked the look of it a lot :smile:
Original post by norashi
It was my 3rd choice, I had part catered at Highfield as my first choice as my ADHD means I have trouble remembering to make myself food etc. and Mayflower as my second choice as it’s closest to the NOC (I’m doing marine bio) so since I got my 3rd choice and I applied the day applications opened, I would get your application in ASAP. I went and visited Wessex and I liked the look of it a lot :smile:

Did you write in the notes that why you needed catered and go through the disabillity link and still get your third choice?
Reply 4
I wrote in the notes but didn’t go through disability link as I didn’t have any needs for my specific room, however, I also put that I would also like to be around other LGBT people, so they may have prioritised that as I know that LGBT flats are available in Wessex
Original post by norashi
I have been accepted at Wessex Lane accommodation for September, any current students, is this a good accommodation and what are any key tips for having a good time at Wessex?

Hi,

Although I stayed in Glen Eyre for my first year, I know some people who stayed in Wessex and enjoyed themselves. Alongside Glen it is one of the larger accommodation complexes at Southampton, meaning it is great if you want a nice and social place to live, with lots of opportunities to get to know new people. Wessex Lane is near Southampton Airport, which means it is likely you will be getting lots of use out of the bus pass that comes as part of your accommodation fees (if this is still running this upcoming academic year). This bus pass also makes getting to and from the city centre really easy!

Wessex Lane is also close to Wide Lane sports ground, so if you were looking to join a sports team or take part in any of the classes offered there, then you will be in a great location for very easy access; it is just a short bus ride and the stops are located really conveniently.

If you have anymore questions about accommodation, or the university more generally, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Original post by norashi

Wessex is a really amazing community to live in! Depending on which room type you get will depend on what tips you'll need but I'm sure you'll love it!
Reply 7
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi,

Although I stayed in Glen Eyre for my first year, I know some people who stayed in Wessex and enjoyed themselves. Alongside Glen it is one of the larger accommodation complexes at Southampton, meaning it is great if you want a nice and social place to live, with lots of opportunities to get to know new people. Wessex Lane is near Southampton Airport, which means it is likely you will be getting lots of use out of the bus pass that comes as part of your accommodation fees (if this is still running this upcoming academic year). This bus pass also makes getting to and from the city centre really easy!

Wessex Lane is also close to Wide Lane sports ground, so if you were looking to join a sports team or take part in any of the classes offered there, then you will be in a great location for very easy access; it is just a short bus ride and the stops are located really conveniently.

If you have anymore questions about accommodation, or the university more generally, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them!

Hi,
I have not yet made Southampton my firm uni should I still just apply for accommodation on the portal? I really want to go to mayflower accom but not sure if I’ve left it too late 😪 I thought we had to wait for a link.
How many people do you share kitchen with in wessex lane enhanced ensuite and do the rooms look exactly like the pics on the website ?
Reply 9
Original post by norashi

Hi there! I am going to Highfield part catered (because i'm autistic and have the same trouble as you). I am doing biomedical sciences- Really nice to hear about another student!!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi,

Hi,
can u name 3 campuses which are nearest to Avenue campus please?...I know Highfield hall but which other 2 are nearest ? don't want to travel too much on each morning or night
Original post by Anonymous #4
Hi,
can u name 3 campuses which are nearest to Avenue campus please?...I know Highfield hall but which other 2 are nearest ? don't want to travel too much on each morning or night
Hi,

The closest halls to Avenue Campus would be Highfield halls. However, Glen Eyre and Archers Road halls are also quite close with about a 20-25 minute walk to Avenue campus or a 15 minute bus ride.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending