The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton accommodation

Wanted to be on campus for my first year to have everything on my doorstep and immerse myself in the whole experience. Southampton accommodation is a bus ride away and I wonder if I’m going to get on the bus to do stuff on campus or will I just end up not bothering. Also, my parents are concerned re safety of coming back from nights out etc on the bus/walking. I’m also looking at Kent which I really liked but the rankings aren’t as good but I loved the campus and vibe, plus it’s on campus accommodation.
(edited 3 months ago)
what subject are you applying for? not all the accommodation at Southampton is a bus ride away.

Have you visited Southampton?

Have you been living within spitting distance of your college?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
what subject are you applying for? not all the accommodation at Southampton is a bus ride away.

Have you visited Southampton?

Have you been living within spitting distance of your college?

Economics. Actually I’ve been lucky enough to live minutes from my college now.
Original post by Tm1235
Economics. Actually I’ve been lucky enough to live minutes from my college now.

How many minutes?

Highfield hall is less than 10 minutes walk from Highfield campus and Hartley Grove is about 12 minutes walk.

Romero is 35 minutes walk (a very nice walk along the avenue/common), and Wessex lane halls are only 20 minutes walk....you only need to get the bus if you're feeling lazy or if you want to go into town
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
How many minutes?

Highfield hall is less than 10 minutes walk from Highfield campus and Hartley Grove is about 12 minutes walk.

Romero is 35 minutes walk (a very nice walk along the avenue/common), and Wessex lane halls are only 20 minutes walk....you only need to get the bus if you're feeling lazy or if you want to go into town

Thanks for the info. Would you say you feel safe late at night returning on the bus to the accommodation?
Original post by Tm1235
Wanted to be on campus for my first year to have everything on my doorstep and immerse myself in the whole experience. Southampton accommodation is a bus ride away and I wonder if I’m going to get on the bus to do stuff on campus or will I just end up not bothering. Also, my parents are concerned re safety of coming back from nights out etc on the bus/walking. I’m also looking at Kent which I really liked but the rankings aren’t as good but I loved the campus and vibe, plus it’s on campus accommodation.

If you're concerned about safety after nights out, Highfield Hall and Glen Eyre are the closest to Highfield Campus; both are about 5-10 minutes walk away with buses to Glen Eyre until c.11pm.
Mayflower is also a good option; it's in the city centre but both the U1 and U2 bus routes will stop basically outside the door until late.
Original post by Tm1235

Hi @Tm1235

As a second year student, I have had a bit of expirience with transport. The University of Southampton has half a dozen accommodation sites across the city, which are varying distinces from the main Highfeild campus. However, whichever site you chose to live on, you get a free bus pass for first year, which will get you onto our Unilink busses. Unilink has ben designed around the facilities used by the university so there are stops outside every accommodation site and campus we have. These busses run from til about 1pm normally. On Fridays and Saturdays, Unilink also runs a night bus (which isn't covered by the bus pass so you wou have to pay) for those wanting to get back after a night out. the student's union also run a safety bus from Highfeild campus on the hour diuring the evenings which will drop you off home. On the whole, Southampton is a pretty safe, particularly for most of the areas frequented by students.

I hope this information is useful to you.
Matthew
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending